VMware Cloud Community
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

An error pops up saying "Cannot open configuration file",What should I do?

When I power on a VM, a error pops up saying "Cannot open configuration file"/vmfs/volumes/45efe095-52263a0a-d19b-00110a531a7e/w2k3-3/w2k3-3.vmx, and VM can not continue to start up, what is the problem

0 Kudos
11 Replies
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you able to browse the data store that the config file is hosted on? It sound like it can't access your storage. Is it a local vmfs?

0 Kudos
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can browse the data store. it is a local vmfs

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert

Chances are that if the .vmx file exists then it is simply a matter that the file does not have the "x" right.

Login to the server (using the console or putty) as a root or equivalent user and then go to the directory that the file is in and type the following

chmod 755 *.vmx

This should solve your problem.

Leonard...

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

I change *.vmx file using chmod 755 *.vmx, and it changes to -rwxr-xr-x, but the problem still exists.

0 Kudos
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you add that vmx file to the inventory? remove the existing one and try to add it back using vmware-cmd or the datastore browser.

0 Kudos
trojanjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible the file is locked?

---- Visit my blog. http://www.2vcps.com
Follow me: http://twitter.com/jon_2vcps
0 Kudos
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

The problem still exists, I have to remove the VM and setup a completely new one, Thanks all for helping me, problem VM does not exist,next time if the problem occurs, I will try again.

0 Kudos
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

The problem occurs again.

0 Kudos
Eric_Yang
Contributor
Contributor

I could not add it backup to the same folder using datastore browser

0 Kudos
Fabio_Pitzolu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Smiley Happy

If you haven't deleted the VM yet, try to run it by console commands (VMWARE-CMD) and post again. Maybe this way works, and we'll see what to do.

Bye Smiley Happy

Fabio

0 Kudos
Teiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Fabio, I tried "vmware-cmd <config.vmx> start" but did not have any luck. I did howerver manage to start my vm back up. See below.

my esx server: 3.0.1

Some info first and what caused my issue which then to my problem (same error as Eric.Yang)

1. My VM has 3 virtual disk. The first disk resides on a local datastore (local disk) and 2nd and 3rd on a external SAS storage.

2. At the moment my esx server has problem communicating with the SAS device where my workload's virtual disk 2 and 3 reside. For some reason it takes over 10 minutes to do a "vdh -h" or "ls -ls /vmfs/volumes".

3. I removed virtual disks 2 and 3 from my workload's config using VC .

4. I started the VM, still the same error.

5. I rebooted the ESX server and the workload started up, but not quickly. It took a while to start up. I assume this is because of my external storage device.

Anyway my issue was not related to permissions or config, i think just storage. I imagine that once I fix up the SAS then things will return to as normal as possible.

Cheers,

Teiva

Teiva
0 Kudos