VMware Cloud Community
whynotq
Commander
Commander

Not Reading ks.cfg during scripted install

Well, this has done my head in...I have a client who wants to be able to redeploy using script based installation from an ftp server.

simple enough but for some reason this just doesn't want to work. I create the ks.cfg from the webAccess and copy it to the ftp server, boot to the esx install screen and type:

esx ks=ftp:/// method=ftp://<ftp server/

the install is working off the ftp server but i cannot get it to read the ks.cfg file either from the ftp site or from floppy. I've tried the few suggestions i've found but nothing seems to work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander

well I've cracked it on my laptop just need to get it working on site, looks like a problem with the boot.img. I did a dd of this to the floppy and it failed earlier, but just used the boot.iso on the install CD and it went fine. I'll try the img file again maybe it was a bad floppy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

I like answering my own questions, shame i can't give myself points Smiley Happy

any way, if anyone wants to have a look i found a post here which covers it off:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=358383&#358383

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

Just to finish this thread neatly, I managed to get it working at the customer, what turned out to be the issue was the permissions for the user they had assigned as the FTP login. it couldn't actually login as it was the IEUSR account created as default.

Each time we booted and had the ks.cfg sat on the ftp server it failed to login, we changed the user to the local admin account and away it went.

good old IIS defaults..!

0 Kudos