VMware Communities
nalenb
Contributor
Contributor

Visual Studio 2005 web project error under Fusion

I have vs.net 2005 installed with the service pack. I create a default web application (not site), build it, and do debug. I get a message about it not being able to find the enterprise library (which does exist). I'm running on Windows XP pro (sp2) Fusion 1.0 single window mode. The reason I think this might be a Fusion problem is that this works perfectly on the system I took an image from. Searching around I did find one other instance where someone had the same problem, they imaged the server and ran it in vmware and the debug failed. Can anyone duplicate this bug I'm seeing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Visual Studio 2005 w/SP1 web projects and Borland Delphi 2007 ASP.NET projects both work perfectly fine on my virtual machine. Maybe the issue is recreated by the imaging of the server? I never have tried that myself. Visual Studio 2005 should just work. What if you repair the VS2005 installation?

0 Kudos
nalenb
Contributor
Contributor

Not a web project or web site, but a web application. I guess sp1 added a new project type. In my setup, it's under New -> Project -> Visual C# -> Web -> ASP.NET Web Application. If you can confirm this for me then I guess I'll reimage the original machine. All I did was do a rebuild solution -> F5 for debug. I have vs.net 2005 standard. I'll try repair too.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Actually, can you post the exact error message you get?

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
nalenb
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error I get.

\[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the path specified.]

I know the file exists in my framework folder. This is a pretty plain vs.net 2005 sp1 install on Windows XP. I even dropped the dll into my bin folder where it should look for it if it's not in the GAC.

In Windows/assembly I have version 1.0.5 of the EnterpriseServices. I can't uninstall that or install the version 2.0.0 one. I have an explicit reference to the 2.0.0 one in my project references and that has the correct path to the framework folder.

When I try to use the gacutil to install the 2.0.0 version I just get an "Unknown Error" failure.

0 Kudos
nalenb
Contributor
Contributor

My bad, I don't think this has anything to do with Fusion now. I was able to add the assembly to the gac using the 2.0 version of gacutil (I had the 1.1 version in my path) and everything is working fine now. I'm still not sure why it worked on the base system and not on my imaged fusion system, but it's working in both places now.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

My bad, I don't think this has anything to do with

Fusion now. I was able to add the assembly to the gac

using the 2.0 version of gacutil (I had the 1.1

version in my path) and everything is working fine

now. I'm still not sure why it worked on the base

system and not on my imaged fusion system, but it's

working in both places now.

I was going to say....looking at the error message I would have found that quite interesting if Fusion would have messed with that....glad you got it sorted out though.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
brandonthornley
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this same error, but on some (3) Windows 2003 servers virtualized with VMware Converter to an ESX server. I repaired it by running the .NET 2.0 Framework setup and choosing the "repair" option.

I went back to the physical servers that were virtualized and the .NET files are there. It seems like .NET was broken during the virtualization process.

0 Kudos