VMware Communities
hmartin216
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WS6, 64-bit host, and memory

If I have a 64-bit host OS (should not matter which, I assume) with 16GB of physical RAM and want to run several 32-bit guest OSs (again, should not matter which) each with 2GB of RAM or less, will I be able to fully utilize all 16GB of physical memory? If yes, I assume I would need to run multiple instances of WS6 since each 32-bit instance would be limited to how much memory it could address.

So, to recap, by running multiple instances of WS6 on a 64-bit host, I can fully utilize all 16GB of memory. True or false? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The UI is 32-bit but the backend components like the device drivers..etc are 64-bit. They would have to be to be used on a 64-bit host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With VMware Workstation 6 you can have 8GB per VM and unlimited for all running VM's . VMware Workstation can only use the memory that is seen as available by the host OS. If your host reports/supports 16GB of RAM, which should be the case since you are using a 64-bit host OS. You will be able to divide that memory between the VM's minus the overhead that is required to run the VM and memory that is need by the host OS.

I can fully utilize all 16GB of memory. True or false?

True, minus the overhead that is required to run the VM and memory that is need by the host OS.

hmartin216
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. So based on this, it doesn't sound like it is even necessary to run multiple instances of WS6. One instance of WS6 can access all 16GB of memory?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not necessary to run multiple instances of WS6. One instance of WS6 can access all 16GB of memory.

hmartin216
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I installed WS6 on 64-bit Vista, it appeared to install as a 32-bit app. If it's a 32-bit app with 32-bit processes, how do those processes access more than 4GB of memory? For the record, I'm not trying to be difficult; just trying to fully understand on WS6 pulls this off. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The UI is 32-bit but the backend components like the device drivers..etc are 64-bit. They would have to be to be used on a 64-bit host.

0 Kudos
hmartin216
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos