VMware Cloud Community
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rename ESX Host (in cluster)

We are assuming ownership of some production ESX hosts that really have a non-existent naming convention.

1. Can you rename an ESX host? Even within a clustered environment?

2. If so, is there a reference for this (white paper, etc.)?

3. Is this a waste of my time? We are talking about 5 machines in total...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1) Yes, but it is imporant you update the DNS to reflect this change (and the /etc/hosts file if it has been configured). Name resolution is very important - especially for HA.

I would recommned , one host at a time, that you put the hosts into maintenance mode and then drag them out of the cluster. Change the name/DNS settings, and then re-add the host to the cluster. You'll soon know if you haven't got the DNS settings right as you'll get an HA error. Juggle your hosts until all are renamed.

2) Not that I know of specifically relating to renaming servers, you could follow the config steps from the resource management configuration guide on configuring a DRS/HA cluster with DNS.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi3/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

3) Depends on your infrastructure - there's not really any harm in having a poor ESX host naming scheme in a small environment, but if you came to expand it later it might be annoying. Your VM naming scheme is more important though IMO.

vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alex -- thanks for the great quick reply!

Is there a command to rename the host via command line, etc.? Can this be done from virtual center, etc.? Will we have to down the box.

And yes, naming schemes are very important in our opinion too...especially as we grow.

Cheers, Chad

0 Kudos