VMware Cloud Community
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Way off topic...not necessarily VMWARE...

Hey folks -- does anyone have any suggestions for an open source or cheap version of what used to be Microsoft Team Managemer or Team Folders? What we are looking for is an easy way to assign projects to staff and check on them in a top down perspective. My google searches have turned up rather fruitless in that I am not really seeing what I need.

For example, I could add a task for the networking team to set up a new network segment to handle incoming Internet traffic to a dual-homed VM firewall running on ESX. (See, I mentioned some VM stuff) Then we could check the progress from the management interface or web browser, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks, Chad

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you considered SharePoint? You can manage projects thru a SharePoint site...as well as a multitude of other things.

It is free the last time I looked. Smiley Happy

Chris

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what we were looking at but it seems like SO much stuff to setup...I mean, I really wanted something a bit easier to maintain and get started.

Know any sharepoint gurus???

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Sharepoint isn't really that difficult to get set up as a small deployment. Sharepoint Portal server is a bigger deal, but the free version (Sharepoint services I think?) is pretty easy from what I remember.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes I do. I've never worked with them personally, but I've heard good things about them. Email me and I'll give you their contact info.

There might be some good SharePoint CBTs out there as well....not that you have the time right now to get up to speed on that. You're too busy with your VMware project right? Smiley Happy

Chris

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Share Point Services is the free version. Version 3.0 of SPS is pretty slick. We are looking to use for our doc management and to replace our Outlook Public Folder forms.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Have you looked at Ilient Help Desk Software?

[b]SysAid Help Desk Software and Asset Management

Simple, feature-rich and easy to deploy.

SysAid is a suite of web-based IT management software tools. It automates your processes for help desk, hardware configurations, asset monitoring, software licenses, tasks, projects and much more.[/b][/i]

The company URL is www.ilient.com

Jason

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Really interesting software...especially from a help desk and "all the way up the chain" perspective. I am passing this link onto the help desk folks.

I think what I need is something that is just from the management level and up so that we can put in larger tasks:

Order new blade chasis

Convert ESX hosts to v. 3.02

Re-cable AIX CECs

Thanks for the input so far...it seems like there has to be something out there that is both easy, tidy, and sort of like MS Project but a little more.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(Un)fortunately...still trying to decide which...we are consumed with VMWARE at the moment...all a good learning process.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I did exactly that with the WSS2 free version of Sharepoint. All our trouble ticket, knowledgebase, and department calanders were in Outlook/Exchange. Normally, I would have just exported from Outlook and imported into Sharepoint, but we had custom Outlook forms that I had to recreate. A thousand times improvement over what we were doing with Outlook Public Folders.

To the OP, Sharepoint has various themes for the sites. I think in current version 3 there's blog themes, which may be a possible method for your project. The full portal version of Sharepoint allows for portal managers/admins, which could be your project managers. But I was able to a lot of the same with just the basic security within the free version.

So as suggested, take a look at Sharepoint, even if not for this project. It may at least give you an idea for the project or for some other project. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now that DOES sound like what I need...I need to add some "stuff" on my own calendar to make time to REALLY investigate Sharepoint Services. Need more staff around here to delegate to.

Anybody need a job? Smiley Wink

Thanks for the thoughts...you guys have convinced me to look at this at a deeper level.

Chad

0 Kudos
constant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An open source application will allow you to make any small customisations you wish.

Using something like E-Groupware, then all you need is a few of hours of time from a php programmer, and the trouble ticket system can be turned into a job control system.

I think you'll find E-Groupware has all you need, and if it's got more, then you just disable the applications you don't want.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The demo intrigued me...I will probably deploy a small SLES VM and download this one and give it a go. I had never heard of E-groupware. It has some interesting functionality...and like you say some of these can be disabled.

Thanks for posting this.

0 Kudos