VMware Cloud Community
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forward SNMP Traps to device other than HP SIM -- is this even possible?

Hi All -

Is anyone using something other than HP SIM to receive SNMP traps from their ESX hosts? Our SIM server took a gigantic dump today and it's going to be a few days before we can get around to reinstalling/reconfiguring it, so I'd like to just use our WhatsUp Gold (v11) server to notify us of power supply/disk/etc. failures.

I've changed the SNMP trap destinations via the Systems Management Homepage (v7.8) and performed the test trap; this works flawlessly; WhatsUp receives the trap and notifies the appropriate party. However, when we yank a power supply or disk from the server, the machine never sends the traps.

It seems like I must be missing something major here....

FWIW, the ESX host I'm attempting this on is a HP DL380 G3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

-Craig

0 Kudos
4 Replies
giovanni_gallor
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's strange, If before SIM fault you was able to receive power supply and drive traps, and if your whatsup can get the test trap, everything should work.

Try to execute the command:

hpasm configure

on your esx console, this execute the HP Agents conf. wizard, when asked, specify your trap destination, write and read community, enabled host and other appropriates values.

To understand the traps you need to import HP Management Agents MIBs in whatsup too (you should find them in SIM CD/DVD).

0 Kudos
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's strange, If before SIM fault you was able to

receive power supply and drive traps, and if your

whatsup can get the test trap, everything should

work.

Try to execute the command:

hpasm configure

n your esx console, this execute the HP Agents conf.

wizard, when asked, specify your trap destination,

write and read community, enabled host and other

appropriates values.

To understand the traps you need to import HP

Management Agents MIBs in whatsup too (you should

find them in SIM CD/DVD).

Hey!

I think compiling the MIBs into WhatsUp worked, I can get the test trap 100% of the time now whereas before I had to kickstart the agent. I'm working from home today and don't have the ability to shut off power to this rack remotely.. will try tomorrow.

Thanks a ton! I'll report back in the morning.

-Craig

0 Kudos
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No dice.. test traps (via the homepage) work every time, but when I pull a power supply, I don't even see the trap come in.

Any other ideas?

-Craig

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds like you might be missing some MIBs. There really isn't much to setting up SNMP traps.

Is your SNMP manager set to pass on these traps?

To be honest, setting up SIM takes no time at all. That might be the quickest way to get going; you could even set it up temporarily in a VM.

Good luck!

0 Kudos