VMware Cloud Community
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NAS + AIX and Linux (3 questions in 1)

Hi Folks -- in the VI3 class last week we learned that we could extend our virtual environment by using NAS (most notably NFS). We have some under-utilized pSeries (AIX) Raid 5 sets that can have any UNIX-like filesystem mounted on them and then exported via NFS. We would like to incorporate this into our environment since it is an untapped resource.

1) Are there any white papers for this?

2) The HCL list mentions RedHat/SLES in particular, so is this only a linux-based NFS? I know it has to be version 3 or greater which is no sweat.

3) And finally, we upgraded our ESX 1.5 to 2.5 then 3.0 today (whoo hoo)!!! This sits on a large amount of unused disk space as well...should we incorporate this via NFS or iSCSI (i.e. which is better/faster, etc.)?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

1) Are there any white papers for this?

not that I'm aware of

2) The HCL list mentions RedHat/SLES in particular,

so is this only a linux-based NFS? I know it has to

be version 3 or greater which is no sweat.

RedHat/SLES are the "certified" ones.

Even Windows Services for Unix works.

You only need to make sure that you have NFSv3 with TCP support and - of course - configure it correct.

3) And finally, we upgraded our ESX 1.5 to 2.5 then

3.0 today (whoo hoo)!!! This sits on a large amount

of unused disk space as well...should we incorporate

this via NFS or iSCSI (i.e. which is better/faster,

etc.)?

Since iSCSI is a block level protocol and NFS is a file protocol iSCSI should be faster.

vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oliver -- thanks for the response. In digging a little deeper I noticed that in order to utilize vMOTION on NFS the machines would have to have compatible processors. This would definitely not be the case with AIX as they use the power chipset....however, it seems like it would be a great development or sandbox even if it runs a bit slower.

As for iSCSI, we may just take an x86 server with a couple of RAID5 sets and try this out...it seems straightforward enough on the Virtual Infrastructure side, we just haven't ever set this up on another server. Other than setting up an IQN, and sending get targets for dynamic discovery, we actually don't know how to really use this yet. Still a work in progress.

I have been combing Eric's vmware-land site for references and haven't found the exact text we need just yet.

How are things in Germany?

cheers, Chad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is meant by compatible CPUs on the PowerPoint Slide in the courseware is that the ESX servers have to have similiar CPUs for VMotion to work. It doesn't or shouldn't matter what processor you have in the NFS server. As long as the NFS box talks NFS version 3 over TCP with root access enabled...then your ESX servers should be able to run VMs from the NFS datastore and do VMotion, HA, and DRS.

As far as iSCSI goes, if you want to setup an iSCSI SAN rather quickly for a Proof of Concept, check out www.openfiler.com or www.freenas.org .

I can show you when I see you next. Smiley Happy

Chris

vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chris -- thanks for the further explanation. That was a bit cloudy. I have heard freenas is pretty good. Hopefully I can get a list of comments/concerns for you by the end of the week so that you can have more/better prep time.

So, if I am reading you correctly, then you are saying that even AIX/System P can participate in the "environment" and VMotion, DRS, etc.???

Thanks, Chad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't see why the AIX/System P couldn't be used by the ESX servers to store VMs and allow them to participate in VMotions, HA, and DRS.

NFS should be NFS on any system and as long as it is NFS version 3 over TCP...and will allow root access to the shared directory...then ESX should mount the share no problem.

ESX can mount a NFS share on a Windows Server that has Services for Unix installed. That's what I use at home....plus VMguru.com has a white paper on it. (I know it's off subject...but just showing that ESX can even talk to a Windows Server doing NFS sharing if configured properly.)

Looking forward to knocking those items off your list! Smiley Happy

Chris

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome...looking forward to it as well. My head is spinning with all the opportunities to reuse equipment for sandbox, dev, test and possibly even a local DR site at an Emergency Operations Center.

This is all good stuff. Chad

0 Kudos