VMware Cloud Community
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to simply unlink an iscsi volume from esx

How do I do this non destructively?

The way I am doing it causes esx to warn me the volume will be removed and all the contents deleted.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct, remove = delete partition, don't do that if you want to keep the data!

To unmount a partition unmap the iSCSi volume from you ESX host on the iSCSI side and then do a rescan of the iSCSI adapter on the ESX side, the LUN will be automatically unmounted when the server can no longer see the LUN.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you have a dynamic entry for the iscsi volume? If so remove it and then rescan the iscsi adapter, the lun should go away.

You could also put in a bad password and rescan but you want to remove the entry if it exists.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct, remove = delete partition, don't do that if you want to keep the data!

To unmount a partition unmap the iSCSi volume from you ESX host on the iSCSI side and then do a rescan of the iSCSI adapter on the ESX side, the LUN will be automatically unmounted when the server can no longer see the LUN.

0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PipeSmokingMari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is correct to say: Because of the design of VMFS (cluster aware) no data can be cached within the operating system (in opposite to NTFS), so unmounting a volume at the ISCSI TARGET side is safe. Shut down all machines using ISCSI, stopping all script etcand waiting a minute is safe !

Mario

0 Kudos