VMware Cloud Community
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade VC 2.0.1 to 2.0.2

Hi,

after upgrading from VC2.0.1 to VC2.0.2 I have several problems.

First of all, I checked twice that on every of the 4 esx 3.0.1 hosts the /tmp/vmware-root folder exists.

On one esx host I will see a "failed to install the VirtualCenter Agent service". Is it possible to retrigger this task.

Also on all 4 esx Server I will get an HA failure. I see one HA reconfigure task that is queued an has never finished.

As this is a production system, my possibilities to reboot an esx host are limited.

Thanks for any reply.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rtmanager
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try the following things:

1. Disable HA

2. On the failed esx host goto the service console

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

3. Check

rpm -qa | grep vpxa

should give you VMware-vpxy-2.0.2-50618

4. Enable HA

5. Reconfigure every esx Host for HA

0 Kudos
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Step 2 alone solved the issue I was having after upgrading to VC v2.0.2. I reconnected the two hosts that had issues installing the new VC agent, enabled DRS & HA and everything is good to go now.

Thanks a ton!

-Craig

Try the following things:

1. Disable HA

2. On the failed esx host goto the service console

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

3. Check

rpm -qa | grep vpxa

should give you VMware-vpxy-2.0.2-50618

4. Enable HA

5. Reconfigure every esx Host for HA

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

How do I manually install the VC management agent?

If after upgrading VirtualCenter you find some of your ESX hosts disconnected you can manually upgrade the management agent on the ESX server by following the below steps:

• First log into the ESX server console and check the version on the servers that are disconnected by typing “vpxa- v” The version needs to match the version of VirtualCenter being used.

- VC 2.0.1 build number is 32042

- VC 2.0.1 build number is 32042

- VC 2.0.1 Patch 1 build number is 33643

- VC 2.0.1 Patch 2 build number is 40644

• Open the folder for the VC 2.0 installation. By default this will be "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0\upgrade"

• You need to use the correct file for different version of ESX server. You can find your answer in bundleversion.xml

- 2.0.1+ = vpx-upgrade-esx-0-linux-*

- 2.1.0+ = vpx-upgrade-esx-1-linux-*

- 2.5.0 = vpx-upgrade-esx-2-linux-*

- 2.5.1 = vpx-upgrade-esx-3-linux-*

- 2.5.2 = vpx-upgrade-esx-4-linux-*

- 2.5.3+ = vpx-upgrade-esx-5-linux-*

- 3.0.0+ = vpx-upgrade-esx-6-linux-*

- e.x.p = vpx-upgrade-esx-6-linux-*

• Copy file "vpx-upgrade-esx-y-linux-xxxxx" to your ESX host, where y and xxxxx are based on bundleversion.xml. xxxxx is the build number, ie. vpx-upgrade-esx-6-linux-40644. Use a secure copy utility such as WinSCP or PuTTY PSFTP to copy this file to the ESX server.

• Login to the ESX server as root.

• In the directory where you copied the upgrade bundle run the command: sh ./ vpx-upgrade-esx-y-linux-xxxxx (xxxxx is the build number)

• Once the install is complete run the command “service vmware-vpxa restart” followed by “service mgmt-vmware restart”

• Check the version again by typing “vpxa –v”, the version should now be the new version. Now open your VI Client, try to connect to the ESX host.

dlopez
Contributor
Contributor

I have also found this issue can be resolved by removing the Cluster and building a new one.

1. Right click the cluster in question

2. Click remove

it will tell you it will remove all boxes and vm's.

This is ok, you wil just have add all the hosts again.

Rebuild the cluster

add hosts into the cluster.

0 Kudos
waynegrow
Expert
Expert

I love VMware. Huge fan, but one thing MS has on them is MS can patch a lot better/easier than VMware.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Ha thats been duly noted many times in these forums. The rumors are that this will change in a later release, lets hope that is indeed true.

To be fair, it did take MS a long time to perfect it. There was no patching in MS-DOS or Windows 3.0! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

There was no patching in MS-DOS or Windows 3.0! Smiley Happy

Whatever happened of the days when you could just drop a file on top of another and it was good to go....

0 Kudos