VMware Communities
unibass
Contributor
Contributor

RC1 Applications Launch Menu is always "Updating"

Greetings all,

I'm not sure what I did, but in the menu bar, I don't see any start menu items for my XP VM. The VM itself is a clean install with no anti-virus or firewall software installed. What is the magic keyboard sequence to make the menu update itself?

Thank You,

Michael

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you in Unity mode, windowed mode, fullscreen mode, ...?

0 Kudos
unibass
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. It does this in all 3 modes.

Michael

0 Kudos
cshbell
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same problem. My launch bar is empty, and the menu always says "updating." WinXP SP2 on Fusion RC1 on OS X 10.4.10 on a MacBook.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the reports. We'll look into it.

0 Kudos
SillyRegistrati
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here.

Updated to RC1 yesterday, started my WXP VM and ever since, my menu is "Updating" in all 3 modes (Unity, single window, full screen). Restaring the VM & Fusion did not fix it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
adrianm
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem.

Adrian

0 Kudos
dsteed
Contributor
Contributor

me too, same problem... at first, some apps appeared in the launch window, now no do... i turned off the firewall (for fun) and reinstalled the tools. nothing helped. would like to get this resolved.

thanks,

david

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this still happening for you under the GA/Fusion 1.0 build? If so, please try to do a full uninstall of VMware Tools from the Control Panel->add/remove program option and then reboot the VM before reinstalling tools.

0 Kudos
cshbell
Contributor
Contributor

I was still having this problem under GA/Fusion 1.0. However, following your steps of doing a full uninstall of VMware Tools, rebooting, and then re-installing VMware Tools caused the Launch menu to work properly. Thank you.

0 Kudos
lenw
Contributor
Contributor

I "fixed" this by deleting the VM, then creating it again (Bootcamp). THis brought back the full list, but when I started it again the next day, once again it was stuck on "Updating..."

0 Kudos