VMware Communities
stevenestrada
Contributor
Contributor

event ids 7024 and 100

Hello. Bought VM workstation 5.5.4 and 6.0. Put each on it's own W2K server in application mode on a windows domain. Have installed/reinstalled both as local admin and domain admin. The software works fine until the computers are restarted, then stop working with these events. What needs to be done to get the service to start so the software works?

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7024

Date: 7/11/2007

Time: 1:26:47 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PLN002

Description:

The VMware Authorization Service service terminated with service-specific error 6000002.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: vmauthd

Event Category: None

Event ID: 100

Date: 7/11/2007

Time: 1:26:47 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PLN002

Description:

Failed to retrieve token for VMware user: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer (1385)

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are these errors coming from WS 5.5.4 or 6.0.0?

The first one doesn't ring a bell.

The second one ("logon failure") seems to indicate an installation problem; maybe reinstalling would help. Ah, but you said it works till reboot, so something else must be changing the account out from under us upon reboot. Keep in mind that we don't support installation on a domain controller, for reasons like this.

However, if you are logged in as a local administrator, you don't need the authorization service (so you can run VMs even if the authorization service is not running).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah, looking at the code, the first error (service-specific error 6000002) means roughly the same thing as the second one (the user account we created is not working properly).

0 Kudos
stevenestrada
Contributor
Contributor

>> Are these errors coming from WS 5.5.4 or 6.0.0? <<

Both

>> error 6000002 <<

I found lot of posts with that number but no solution other than reinstalling, which is what I do - after EVERY reboot - beacuse after after every reboot, vmauth stops working.

0 Kudos
brownjosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had this problem - I'd been playing around with my firewall and ended up blocking the VMware Authorisation Service (not on purpose)...I changed this to unblock and restarted the service and now VMware all go again.

0 Kudos
brownjosh
Contributor
Contributor

Actually not exactly the same problem, but my fix may prove helpful in troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
stevenestrada
Contributor
Contributor

>> Keep in mind that we don't support installation on a domain controller, for reasons like this. <<

This issue happens on both Windows XP workstations and Windows 2000 terminal servers. We haven't tried on a domain controller, and aren't planning to.

The solution of uninstalling then reinstalling vmware needs to be be done each time the computer is rebooted, else the non admin user can't use it.

Can you post a troubleshooting procedure? Thanks.

0 Kudos
vic10us
Contributor
Contributor

The problem might be linked to a local or domain group policy. Make sure that the local account "__vmware_user__" is granted the permissions of "Log on locally" and "Log on as a service".

Both settings can be found in the "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignments\" branch of either the local or domain group policy.

If a fresh install fixes the problem only until the next reboot or restart of the vmauthd service then I am almost sure the source is a domain policy as they only perform a refresh every 5 min (domain controller) to 90 min (everything else) by default. Hence resetting the permission changes performed by the install.

~v

0 Kudos
stevenestrada
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, the vmauth service not starting disappeared after a vmware upgrade.

0 Kudos
stevenestrada
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded to vmware wqorkstation 6.0.4. vmauthd eventid 100 back with bigger trouble.

I can't change any settings - not even toggle the sidebar.

0 Kudos
neil_murphy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem on Vista. I solved it by making vmwareuser_ a member of the local administrators group.

0 Kudos
thesaltydog
Contributor
Contributor

I did as neil told, but even adding vmware_user into administrators group, my player won't start because the Authorization service is stopped and cannot be started. VMware Player 2.5 and Microsoft Vista

0 Kudos
alexandruast
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved by checking the following:

You must have the local group named __vmware__ and the local user __vmware_user__ as a member of it. Caution, do not put the __vmware_user__ in the administrators group, it's a security risk!

The group __vmware__ must be granted the "log on locally" rights in the Local Security Policy.

0 Kudos