VMware Communities
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL can not run... No accelerated 3D graphics!

Gentlemen,

I checked the "accelerate 3D graphics" option, a warning saying that VM's OpenGL can only supports DirectX 8.1" appeard and, after POST, a new window saying that 3D graphics couldn't be opened.

Anyone know why? The Fusion official release will support it?

PS: My Windows XP Pro VM is running DirectX 9.0c version...

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep. Fusion only supports DirectX 8 (or is it DX 8.1?), and only under Windows XP. No OpenGL support, no DX 9.

There has been no announcement of what version beyond DX 8 (8.1?) that will be in the Final Release.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We will support DirectX 8.1 for VMware Fusion 1.0. While we can't discuss what 3D support will be in future VMware products at this time, we have heard that 3D is important moving forward.

Best,

Pat Lee

Senior Product Manager - Mac Products

VMware

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Pat, now, when I try to run games that require DX9 I have to wait, right? Nothing to do? =(

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pat, now, when I try to run games that require DX9 I

have to wait, right? Nothing to do? =(

Correct, we don't support DX9 at this time. DX9 is a major undertaking to get right.

Pat

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, but it is part of the VM Fusion roadmap, correct?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok, but it is part of the VM Fusion roadmap, correct?

VMware policy is that we can't discuss roadmap or forward looking statements. We know people would love to see it and we are definitely considering it as we plan future products.

Pat

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Ok!!! Let's wait and hope!!!

Thank you!!!

I will mark this question as answered!!!

Regards...

0 Kudos
mehtuus
Contributor
Contributor

>> Ok, but it is part of the VM Fusion roadmap, correct?

VMware policy is that we can't discuss roadmap or forward looking statements. We know people would love to see it and we are definitely considering it as we plan future products.

Pat

It is not my \*intention* to cause offense, but that policy sounds ominous and has an air of "we don't care about you or what you think" attitude. I can understand not talking about specific technologies due to corporate spy's and such, but how is a simple road map or forward looking statements specific?

Or perhaps the idea is to avoid people not making purchases because a much needed feature is \*just around the corner. Then they get offered an \inexpensive* upgrade and VMWare makes that much more $$$...

Either option sounds like a dis-service to customers. Am I wrong? Is there another reason that has not occurred to me?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes - SEC regulations! Announcing future features/products affects revenue streams; and can cause accounting nightmares and possibly fines, if schedules slip and products don't ship. Huge corporations like Microsoft can handle small losses due to this, but most can't.

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, whatever, but keep in mind that one STRONG reason to make Mac users go to VMWare is to play Windows games, so, DX9 (and 10) MUST be a present feature!!!

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just want everyone to know that we understand that 3D is important to a lot of people and we would love it as well. It is a complex problem to get it right to meet the desires that people are asking for.

We have heard what people want and we are definitely seriously considering our users feedback as we plan future products.

However, I just can't comment on details regarding our product roadmap or feature plans or future release timelines.

Best,

Pat Lee

Senior Product Manager - Mac Products

VMware

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

Right, we understood it, I was just saying that is mandatory, not for now, but it must be in the roadmap...

The Fusion B4 is EXCELENT, the EasyInstall worked PERFECTLY with WinXP Pro and I am very satisfied with the product, which I am not using ONLY for gaming, all right?

Let's wait and hope for another great features...

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Ok, whatever, but keep in mind that one STRONG reason

to make Mac users go to VMWare is to play Windows

games, so, DX9 (and 10) MUST be a present feature!!!

Well...if I may add some of my thoughts here...I am actually not so sure whether this assumption is completely correct. Reason is simply that I would expect most gamers that want to play on a Mac rather use Boot Camp to get the maximum performance (even in terms of DirectX 10 support).

If DirectX 9 or even DirectX 10 (which is even more difficult in my eyes) is supported in a virtualized environment, you will still suffer from a distinct performance hit. And usually gamers are striving for the fastest hardware possible.

I am not saying that your assumption is wrong....I am just not so sure whether this is the main reason...and yes...DirectX 9 would be kind of nice so that you could use Aero...on the other hand...I already have Mac OS which is nicer anyway... Smiley Wink

Ciao, Andreas

Message was edited: Need to learn some English...

0 Kudos
superwoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with Andreas.

Gamers have a tendency to want to wring the maximum performance out of their machine. That means Boot Camp, not VMWare or Parallels.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>Gamers have a tendency to want to wring the maximum performance out of their machine. That means Boot Camp, not VMWare or Parallels.

Right, a physical machine. And, usually, a dedicated and less expensive, PC rather than an overpriced Apple offering. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
alecalixto
Contributor
Contributor

People, I'm not saying about high performance games only... Remember, LOTS of simple games require DX9... I'm an example of it... I want to play a Windows game, very lite, but requires DX9, at least...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Out of curiosity, have you actually tried running your game (from your original post, it sounds like you're using a MacBook or Mac mini, so will need to update to the release candidate)? If it fails, what happens and what do the logs say? What game is it?

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, whatever, but keep in mind that one STRONG reason

to make Mac users go to VMWare is to play Windows

games, so, DX9 (and 10) MUST be a present feature!!!

I'd disagree with this. There are many windows applications that make use of 3D graphics, not just games, and all are a reason to use VMWare/Parallels.

We develop scientific applications for Windows, the use OpenGL and/or libraries that use OpenGL so would benefit greatly from OpenGL acceleration.

Currently, and VMWare VM can 'cope' with our applications as we aren't pushing 3D graphics in the slightest, but Parallels 3, which does accelerate OpenGL, makes our apps look as if we are running in BootCamp mode because of its acceleration of OpenGL.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it would be nice to have Eyeon Fusion 5.1 Learning Edition working in VMWare which is using OpenGL. See: www.eyeonline.com

0 Kudos