VMware Cloud Community
m_d_sella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB Full Backup

Setting up VCB for the first time. Everything appears to be working as anticipated, using the TSM Integration Module and the appropriate commands. So, everything from a configuration standpoint is working well.

The question I have related to the "-FullVM" command line option. According to the VCB documentation, the VCB proxy mounts the VM files on the VCB proxy. This appears to be the case when not using the -FullVM switch, but when using the -FullVM switch it appears to copy the files to the local disk on the proxy. My assumption is that the VCB proxy can mount a .vdmk file remotely, but that there is no way to mount a directory on a VMFS3 volume. Can anyone verify that this is indeed the case?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct, you can mount the VMDK files to the VCB Proxy OR you can export the VMDK files. Either way the access to do this is read only, this prevents you from restoring directly to VMFS.

Thomas H. Bryant III
m_d_sella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply kix.

To do the full back-ups then, I will need to provide adequate space on the proxy for all of the files that I will need to mount for each backup job?

0 Kudos