VMware Communities
MKBers
Contributor
Contributor

Best way to "Clean Install" Vista from Windows Upgrade CD

I have just downloaded Fusion Beta 4. I would like to do a CLEAN Windows Vista 64bit VM installation. The rub is that I have a Vista Upgrade CD. I also own a copy of Windows XP Pro. I tried using the Windows Easy Install feature of Fusion, but it does not prompt for the old XP Pro CD to verify ownership (XP used to do this, I'm not sure if Vista still does). As such, the installation stalls as the Windows Installer can't authenticate XP Pro. My question is, how do I proceed? What is the best way to install Vista clean from an Upgrade CD?

I currently use Parallels and am disappointed with the product. For one thing, it doesn't support 64bit processing. For another, it seems to bog down my MacBook Pro. When I heard that VMware Fusion did support 64bit and seems to be much less of a drag on system resources, I was stoked. I would really like to give this a try and hopefully to jettison Parallels.

I do not want to invest in a full installation copy of Vista Ultimate, yet would like to do the cleanest possible installation with the upgrade disk.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried not using the Windows Easy Install feature, but rather doing a manual installation? When you leave Fusion's "Easy Install" checkbox unchecked and simply allow the just-created VM to boot from the Vista install image, Vista's installer will behave just as if you were installing on physical hardware.

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have a similar problem you have to start it from a Windows XP machine because the DVD is not bootable. Only when you start it its unable to read the partitions because it needs the VMWare SCSI drivers. How am I supposed to get those? No ready made floppy with it.

0 Kudos