VMware Communities
bcharlton
Contributor
Contributor

Unity application list updates

The unity application list doesn't seem to update while the vm is running. I don't expect changes to appear instantly, but if I install a new application (or upgrade one, as I did this morning), it would be nice if unity noticed.

I've tried a suspend/resume, restarting the vm, and even completely shutting it down and restarting. It seems that currently the only way to get unity to rebuild its apps list is to restart vmware in its entirety - not ideal if you're using more than one vm. Any chance this could be fixed before release?

Otherwise, this is a great product.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The unity application list doesn't seem to update

while the vm is running. I don't expect changes to

appear instantly, but if I install a new application

(or upgrade one, as I did this morning), it would be

nice if unity noticed.

I've tried a suspend/resume, restarting the vm, and

even completely shutting it down and restarting. It

seems that currently the only way to get unity to

rebuild its apps list is to restart vmware in its

entirety - not ideal if you're using more than one

vm. Any chance this could be fixed before release?

Otherwise, this is a great product.

This is currently a known issue and something we are looking into.

Pat

0 Kudos
iNik
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem and found that it seems to be an application firewall issues.

I managed to fix this problem by setting my application firewall (Blink! personal edition) to permit all the VMWare *.exe files (in C:\Program Files\VMWare\) to have unrestricted access. I'm guessing it uses a virtual network connection to handle the application menu updates.

I posted my fix here if you care to discuss success/failure with it: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=92470

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, have the same problem that the Applications menu in VMWare Fusion is only showing Updating... Really strange, it has worked earlier. I only have AVG AntiVirus FREE installed in the virtual machine, no extra firewall only the one of Windows XP SP2.

0 Kudos