14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2007 3:06 PM by IdeCable

CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in

Build_Interns Enthusiast

Hello,

I'm working for a company that recently merged with another larger one.   The goal of our project is to merge the two networks together. This is how it works

The company has a main server and runs nightly build processes on the server using dedicated BUILD PCs (roughly 20).  It acquires source code from one server, does the builds, then sends the finished products to another server.   This is on the smaller network.    The problem is, to connect to the larger network we must go through a very low bandwidth bridge and each build is fairly large ( several gigabytes)

The solution we were discussing was to create VMware images for each type of build (for each product/version for example) then running them off the server.  Each PC would remotely connect to the server and run the VMware image on the server and do actual build/compilation and send it off later.

If we are successful, we can move the server to the new network (the large one) and remotely connect to it and run them off there. WHEEEE

okay so i'm not sure what I'm asking. But does anyone have any suggestions

• 1. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
          nick.couchman Champion

I'm not sure what you're asking, either - what are you looking for suggestions on?

• 2. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
            Build_Interns Enthusiast

Sorry for the inclarity -

1) Is it possible to connect remotely to an image that is run on VMserver and have multiple images with different IP addresses?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer large files between servers?

3) What does the D stand for in DHCP?

4) What does the P stand for in DHCP?

5) Can I buy a DHCP in future shop?

• 3. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
              RDPetruska Guru
              User ModeratorsvExpert

1) Is it possible to connect remotely to an image that is run on VMserver?

Yes - several methods.

and have multiple images with different IP addresses?

Well, any duplicated image MUST have a different IP address, otherwise you'd have conflicts.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer large files between servers?

Network file shares usually work well. 

3) What does the D stand for in DHCP?

Dynamic

4) What does the P stand for in DHCP?

Protocol (I think)

5) Can I buy a DHCP in future shop?

There should be a dhcp service already included in any modern Server-class OS you have.

• 4. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                Build_Interns Enthusiast

Thank you for all your replies =)

Regarding Number One, could you please list some of the methods? Benefits/Drawbacks?

Also, could you explain or direct me to a tutorial on how to set up a DHCP server and such?

Message was edited by:

Jesus

• 5. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                  Build_Interns Enthusiast

Also another question - I understand that VMPlayer runs virtual machines and VMserver runs, creates and edits.    Is this the only difference?  If so what's the point of getting Vmware workstation>

• 6. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                    devzero Master

>Each PC would remotely connect to the server and run the VMware image on

>the server and do actual build/compilation and send it off later.

huh?

each of those 20 PC`s ?

shouldn`t one or even none be enough for that because you could do that on a single server instead ?

• 7. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                      Build_Interns Enthusiast

Well yes thats the point of running the VMs on the server - but each PC will probably have about 3 or 4 images running remotely.  This allows easy management to start/edit build processes so that one can connect to an individual PC and control it instead of going through the server.  Or thats what we hope.

• 8. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                        RDPetruska Guru
                        User ModeratorsvExpert

Also another question - I understand that VMPlayer

runs virtual machines and VMserver runs, creates and

edits.    Is this the only difference?  If so what's

the point of getting Vmware workstation

1. Player and Workstation are designed for user-interactive guests.  Server is designed for non-interactive, back-end guests.  So, there are different feature sets for each, based on the primary users.

2. See Alessandro's comparison between Server and Workstation http://www.virtualization.info/2007/05/feature-comparison-vmware-workstation.html

3. Yes, Player does not have any built-in tools to create or edit virtual machines.  But there are various tools out there which you can use to do so.  See http://www.virtualization.info/2005/12/guide-to-create-vmx-files-for-vmware.html

As far as connecting to a remote server...

a. Use the VMware Server Client Console to connect to the Server, create/edit/start/stop VMs.

b. Use the built-in VNC server to connect to the guests once they are running.

c. Use RDP connection or other remote connection utilities to connect to the guests once they are running.

d. Use a browser to connect to the VMware Server's MUI to start/stop VMs.

• 9. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                          Build_Interns Enthusiast

RDPetruska thank you very much, you have been very helpful!

• 10. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                            tadeuszjl Enthusiast

a/b/c offer similar functionality, but differ in speed: cab. C is the fastest, but some licensed software does not work with this approach (notably Intel compilers), a is limited to server only, while a is slowest, and requires installation of VNC.

d. Use a browser to connect to the VMware Server's

MUI to start/stop VMs.As far as connecting to a remote server...

a. Use the VMware Server Client Console to connect to

the Server, create/edit/start/stop VMs.

b. Use the built-in VNC server to connect to the

guests once they are running.

c. Use RDP connection or other remote connection

utilities to connect to the guests once they are

running.

• 11. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                              tadeuszjl Enthusiast

I meant b is the slowest.

• 12. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                                RDPetruska Guru
                                vExpertUser Moderators

No, b does NOT require the installation of VNC anywhere - it's built in to the Server!  You need to manually edit the VM's configuration file to enable it.

Yes, you do need to install the VNC client on your remote PC.

• 13. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                                  Build_Interns Enthusiast

Regarding what you said about intel compilers not working, Does this mean if I connect to a Virtual machine using RDP and i try to start a compilation - we might recieve an error?

• 14. Re: CONNECTING TO VMWARE GUEST O/S VIA  Remote Log in
                                    IdeCable Novice

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to

transfer large files between servers?

Network file shares usually work well. 

I must specify that file transfers within many virtual-machines running from the \*same* physical host can \*sometimes* create huge overhead, <----- virtual machines will require tweaks to make file transfers over Windows fileshares at a fairly good speed. I had to disable the write cache over each of my virtual hard-drives from the vmware-server-console and you may (maybe) need to disable memory trimming.

If you want to get max performance out of what you're trying to acheive: I suggest you take in concideration how much memory every of your virtual machines will need, and over how many servers you will be able to deploy them over.

Sometimes memory trimming is a good thing if you have many virtual machines that runs with minimal ammount of ram, same thing for the opposite - memory trimming is better off disabled per vm who has a large ammount of RAM.

My recommendations:

- build a plan of what ressources your virtual machines will need for every one of them.

- how much RAM they will require,

- how much HD they will require in virtual hard-drives,

- how much CPU ressources every of your virtual-machines will require,

- what OS they will be running

I highly recommend having a dedicated server(s) for your VMware Server project. My server is hosting a Samba fileshare on the side.. and anyone using my Samba fileshare over the network is fine.. but \*if* my virtual machine is trying to use the Samba server that it's host OS is giving, it make HUGE overhead.

I may be over-paranoid, but VMware Server is not just the one thing you install and everything working like charm without having to do anything else. <--- I had four tweaks I had to apply in order to make my 3.6gig (of ram) virtual machine with two CPUs working fine.

The host OS your servers will be running for VMware Server must be taken in concideration as well: CentOS? Windows Server? Linux? Unix? I \*highly* recommend (any) Debian based Linux distro. Kernel 2.6.18 is the latest known kernel to run with stability with VMware Server.

Before you put anything in production for good, make sure you do benchmarks of your whole setup. Stress tests as well. I did a full week of testing before putting my VMware Server in production.

You will also have to think about how you will manage to pull backups out of this system. There's alot of posts already done covering this topic.

You may want to restrict the ability to revert snapshots as well. Lets say you run a critical-misson server as a virtual machine and someone by accident hits the "revert to snapshot" button over the console. That's something you don't want to happen bigtime!!!

See? My point is: you will need to properly configure your whole setup in order to really suit your needs.

And yet an other thing: what about power failures?  You will have to think of one way to make all of your servers to \*react* when your UPS starts to warn your servers that "hey!! no more power!! you better start to suspend your virtual machines right now!! you better do it quick!! :P "

I am working on my UPS setup to make it work with VMware Server. I will add a howto post when I get it done for those who's interested in this.

Good luck with your VMware Server project. And don't be afraid to RTFM!!

Message was edited by:

IdeCable