VMware Communities
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware Tray icons never go away

Vmware Workstation 6.0.0 build-45731 running on Opensuse 10.2 Kde 3.5.6.

The Vmware-Tray icon stays in the tray but displays no icon (just a blank) after vmware shuts down. Further, one instance of /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-tray continues to run for each invocation of vmware.

If you launch vmware multiple times, you may (but not always) end up with multiple instances of /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-tray, one for each launch, and these tend to stay around after vmware is closed.

This photo shows the tray icons (empty) after closing vmware. The vmware-tray tasks can be seen in "top" after close of vmware.

http://picasaweb.google.com/screenio/Utilitypics/photo#5072677347010324194

0 Kudos
16 Replies
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody else seeing this?

0 Kudos
Grogan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a matter of fact, yes, I am seeing that. vmware-tray stays running after closing the application, and leaves a blank space on my XFCE4 taskbar, (I haven't actually tried it in any other window managers)

Most of the time, when I re-open vmware workstation it just connects to the same vmware-tray instance, but yes, I have seen defunct vmware-tray processes occasionally.

Because of that, I've just gotten in the habit of "killall vmware-tray" after exiting vmware (I launch it from a terminal anyways, so there's a terminal right there when I exit). It does get killed when I do /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware stop though, if I'm done with vmware for the session.

0 Kudos
RuralRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too am having problems with vmware-tray. When I run VMware, a space opens up on the tray, but nothing is displayed. The space is still there when VMware exits (and the vmware-tray process hangs around), and when I run it again, ANOTHER space opens up, and so on.

Also, vmware-tray seems to take a HUGE amount of memory for something that just draws a button in the tray. At the moment, it is taking up 29.9Mb of RAM and 78.8Mb of virtual space. WHY???

Running Workstation 6.0.45731 under PCLinux 2007.

0 Kudos
niziol
Contributor
Contributor

Just another mee too - I'm also running workstation 6 on openSUSE 10.2 with KDE, and I too get the blank space instead of the icon in the system tray.

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've created a desktop Icon which launches the following command

/sbin/killproc /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-tray

This kills off all instances of the vmware tray icon and releases menu.

(killproc is a suse thing that finds any instances of the mentioned

executable that is running and terminates it. I've not seen that in

all versions of Linux.)

This kills off all instances of vmware-tray owned by the logged in user.

Then I thought, wait a minute, why am I doing this? The thing is more or

less useless anyway, why run it at all? So I turned it off in the preferences.

If I am so clueless as to miss the fact that I have a Virtual Machine running when I shut the machine down, why would be be cluefull enough to notice the tray icon?

0 Kudos
niziol
Contributor
Contributor

I'm probably pretty easy to please - I'd be quite happy if the icon was just shown as it should be! It would be great if someone could figure out how to make the icon show-up!

But thanks for the tip, it makes it a little less irritating!

0 Kudos
Grogan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Then I thought, wait a minute, why am I doing this?

The thing is more or

ess useless anyway, why run it at all? So I turned

it off in the preferences.

Oh.... I hadn't noticed that it was something that could be turned off in preferences, but there it is, staring me right in the face. It even stops/starts vmware-tray when you change the setting. The tray program is certainly not useful to me. That's what I'll be doing from now on then. Thanks Smiley Happy

killproc is often a sysvinit script "library" function that some distros define. It's used in the stop commands in the /etc/rc.d init scripts, but the functions library (a text file with scripting functions) has to be sourced in the scripts. SuSE provides their own binary named killproc in their sysvinit package and it can be used outside of the init scripts.

In the simple case like this, the killall command (simply killall vmware-tray) should do the job (killall -9 would forcibly kill). The default of sigterm when no signal is specified should suffice, but that's the advantage of using your killproc program. killproc will send sigkill if the process doesn't respond to sigterm within a few secs. So it gives the process time to shut itself down gracefully, or forcibly kills it if necessary.

0 Kudos
vslavik
Contributor
Contributor

This is a bug in VMware's implementation of the tray icon (or perhaps more accurately, incompatibility with the way the tray protocol is implemented in KDE).

Judging from my own experience with this behavior, the problem is that VMware Workstation hides[/b] the tray icon widget when it shouldn't be shown. KDE's Kicker still leaves the place for the icon allocated in the tray if it is hidden, instead of collapsing the tray area. The fix is easy: just destroy[/b] the tray icon widget instead of hiding it. Now if somebody at VMware could please implement this simple fix...?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure if this is possible... since the "vmware-tray.exe" process is still running. They may not be able to destroy/remove the tray icon and still leave the process running. Sounds to me like you yourself have pinpointed the issue -- it's a bug with the KDE desktop/window manager!

0 Kudos
vslavik
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure if this is possible... since the

"vmware-tray.exe" process is still running. They may

not be able to destroy/remove the tray icon and still

leave the process running.

Leaving the process running without a tray icon window is, unsurprisingly, perfectly possible -- been there, did it. It doesn't take a genius to implement, either.

Sounds to me like you yourself have pinpointed the issue -- it's a bug with

the KDE desktop/window manager!

No, not at all. The system tray spec doesn't specify the behavior in this case, so the KDE (and XFCE4 if I remember other posts here correctly) behavior is OK. And of course, even if it was[/i] a KDE bug, it wouldn't change anything about a) Workstation behaving in an annoying way on KDE desktops and b) this being easily worked around.

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The fix is easy: just destroy the tray icon widget instead of hiding it.

Actually, I was hoping for a solution that didn't paper over the problem and simply hide the symptoms.

As others have pointed out, its not limited to KDE, and the vmware-tray program remains in memory using a rather large allocation. Destroying the icon and leaving the program in memory seems counter productive.

Further, restarting vmware with vmware-tray already running is no faster than starting it from scratch, so the tray icon serves no purpose in the first place, other than to remind you you have vmware running.

0 Kudos
clone00
Contributor
Contributor

I have the \*same* exact issue in Fedora 7 / KDE 3.5.7-21.fc7 / VMware workstation 6.0.0

Has this been fixed? Occasionally I can see the VMware workstation icon actually render if like I quit out of another tray application, and then load another one (so that the VMware icon ends up somewhere in the "middle" of the tray). This doesn't work 100%, which is cool! ;o).

0 Kudos
Calevizo
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, running VMWare 6.5 on Kubuntu amd64, the only "solution" I have found is "sudo killall vmware-tray"

0 Kudos
Marcus_Aurelius
Contributor
Contributor

Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3. Absolutely still there. If you start and stop VMs it will create an icon for each and leave the blank space once you stop the VM. You can disable in Preferences if you want to clear all the "hidden" icons and then enable it again. You can always use the command line or create a batch script to do it for you. Bit of an annoyance and considering it has been there for a few "updates" of workstation it seems very foolish that it hasn't been fixed yet. It seems simple enough of a fix, terminate the program or restart it...

0 Kudos
kg4ojl
Contributor
Contributor

Same on gentoo also running kde 4.3. I am like others though, sure you don't need it but it is supose to work right. If you don't need it, or you can't use it then why even have it an option in the first place.

0 Kudos
Marcus_Aurelius
Contributor
Contributor

I have turned off that setting but in 10.4 it seems to not break anymore? I used it once troubleshooting a "hidden" VM that just happened to have started with sudo and it was hidden from my account as a regular user.

0 Kudos