VMware Cloud Community
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Remedy

I've had a BMC "Senior Consultant" strongly recommended against using ESX for the Production AR server. On top of that he recommended a Quad cpu 4GB ram box for the app server alone! There will be less than 500 users using this suite of apps and I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there in the field that is using Remedy within their Virtual environment?

Now this is my first exposure to the product. I understand it to be just like any other app...basically install and test and see how it performs. I also understand that there are some apps that just don't belong on VMs.

This guy feels that this is one of those apps, but I'm at odds with him. I'm basically trying to sway my boss towards VMs rather than dumping $$$ into a set of dual-core, quad-core boxes.

Thanks!

Joseph

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, we use BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) Server. As with most of our applications, we have 3 Remedy environments: DEV, QA, and Production. Each environment consists of a pair of Remedy servers. The application server which is the "brains" running the Remedy application as well as the email daemon. The other server is the "mid tier" server which is just a fancy name for the web server which runs MS IIS and Remedy mid tier. All end users go through the Remedy mid tier server to submit their tickets and to check status of tickets. That is to say, all our end users are using the Remedy web interface. A few Remedy admins run the Remedy Admin client. The mid tier server talks to the application server, and the application server data is back ended by SQL 2000.

So in summary, we have 6 Remedy servers. All are VMs and we haven't had any issues running Remedy inside VMs (although I did test somewhat extensively at first because Remedy is Java driven and I was concerned about the context switching). About 2,500 end users hit our Remedy servers.

Going from memory, each Remedy server has about 1GB of RAM allocated to it (if even that, I can check tomorrow if you want to verify). Each Remedy server is single vCPU running on HP DL585G1 AMD Opteron dual core hosts. But since each VM only has 1 vCPU, dual core or vSMP has no bearing on current performance which has been absolutely fine.

If it would help you at all, I can get you some historical screen prints of our Remedy server performance to show you the CPU/memory/disk trending.

One thing I really like about running Remedy on VMware is come patch time, I can throw the Remedy servers into snapshot mode. Remedy patches can be hairy and a snapshot is my ace in hole for recovery.

There's nothing simple about a Remedy installation. Make sure you get good install documentation. It's not so much the installation, but the massive configuration afterwards (which thankfully I have no reponsibilities for). Also note that each time you patch Remedy, it's basically run like a re-install so the install documentation is very handy at the time to. A Remedy install is anything but clicking next and accepting all defaults.

I do understand your Engineer's concern and he should be complimented on his due dilligence. Perhaps in a massive environment with tens of thousands of Remedy users, running Virtual might be a concern, but not at our user count of 2,500. As I said before, context switching was a concern of mine but it's been running just groovy. The improvements that came with VI3 helped in the kernel mode call area but I will say that we ran the same Remedy environments on ESX 2.x before we upgraded to VI3 and things were still fine then.

Let me know how I can be of more help in this.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I administred our Remedy application back when it was 4.5, think they are up to 6.3 or 7 now. The application does use some CPU cycles but the database server was usual the bottleneck, lots of users running querys and reports. Never tried it on a VM but I'd think the app server would be worth testing on ESX. Can always give it more shares if needed. Be interested to hear how it works if you try it.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Start on a VM and see what you get. If needed you do a V2P.

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy Sbeaver, that's always my intent...the more virtual the better, but the powers that be don't always agree Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had the same with a TM1 server recently, the "consultant" tried to tell me it needed 3GB of RAM for five[/b] users! Strangely enough it works just fine with 512MB of RAM in a VM. \*rolls eyes*

What does Remedy do that requires so much memory? Could you not do a proof of concept install in a VM and then print out some VC performance graphs to show what it really[/i] needs?

Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What does Remedy do that requires so much memory?

Remedy is a behemoth suite of applications that are based on the ITIL methodology for Change Control, Asset Mgmt, Incident Mgmt, Problem Mgmt, Knowledge Mgmt, etc, etc. The primary application server is Java based and hosts multiple applications/modules.

Could you not do a proof of concept install in a VM

and then print out some VC performance graphs to show

what it really[/i] needs?

POC is a great idea (kicking self for not thinking of that!). I haven't had a need for a POC since implementing ESX.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, we use BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) Server. As with most of our applications, we have 3 Remedy environments: DEV, QA, and Production. Each environment consists of a pair of Remedy servers. The application server which is the "brains" running the Remedy application as well as the email daemon. The other server is the "mid tier" server which is just a fancy name for the web server which runs MS IIS and Remedy mid tier. All end users go through the Remedy mid tier server to submit their tickets and to check status of tickets. That is to say, all our end users are using the Remedy web interface. A few Remedy admins run the Remedy Admin client. The mid tier server talks to the application server, and the application server data is back ended by SQL 2000.

So in summary, we have 6 Remedy servers. All are VMs and we haven't had any issues running Remedy inside VMs (although I did test somewhat extensively at first because Remedy is Java driven and I was concerned about the context switching). About 2,500 end users hit our Remedy servers.

Going from memory, each Remedy server has about 1GB of RAM allocated to it (if even that, I can check tomorrow if you want to verify). Each Remedy server is single vCPU running on HP DL585G1 AMD Opteron dual core hosts. But since each VM only has 1 vCPU, dual core or vSMP has no bearing on current performance which has been absolutely fine.

If it would help you at all, I can get you some historical screen prints of our Remedy server performance to show you the CPU/memory/disk trending.

One thing I really like about running Remedy on VMware is come patch time, I can throw the Remedy servers into snapshot mode. Remedy patches can be hairy and a snapshot is my ace in hole for recovery.

There's nothing simple about a Remedy installation. Make sure you get good install documentation. It's not so much the installation, but the massive configuration afterwards (which thankfully I have no reponsibilities for). Also note that each time you patch Remedy, it's basically run like a re-install so the install documentation is very handy at the time to. A Remedy install is anything but clicking next and accepting all defaults.

I do understand your Engineer's concern and he should be complimented on his due dilligence. Perhaps in a massive environment with tens of thousands of Remedy users, running Virtual might be a concern, but not at our user count of 2,500. As I said before, context switching was a concern of mine but it's been running just groovy. The improvements that came with VI3 helped in the kernel mode call area but I will say that we ran the same Remedy environments on ESX 2.x before we upgraded to VI3 and things were still fine then.

Let me know how I can be of more help in this.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is what I was looking for. I was sure there were others out there using the product, just doesn't seem to be alot of VMware/Remedy info through google.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Attached are current statistics for our production app and email daemon Remedy server. I'm sorry I can't give you historical right now because I just found out that there's some sort of bug in VirtualCenter and for now don't have access to our historical data. Grrrrrr... New post on that in the VC forum.

jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Mid Tier web server stats for past hour

0 Kudos
mchoksi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much Jason for the elobaration. I am facing the same issue here - the rememdy administrator wouldnt want the production box virtulized. (eventhough the the VMARE running on dual quod-core cpus with 16GB RAM and 2gpbs SAN).

The ohter concern was the Remedy licensing based on the MAC address of the box - On VMWARE with DRS and HA the MAC address might change if it moves to different ESX box. ANy suggestions on that?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The mac would not change as it is included in the vmx file which doesn't change.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
mchoksi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! so when I virtulize the physical Remedy box, i just manually edit the file and replace the original MAC address, right?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Oh you want to maintain the original mac ..... my post was more in the line of you-create-it-once-and-it-will-last-forever.

However, while I haven't done it myself, it is indeed possible to edit the file and put your own MAC. At this point however I am not sure whether you can create whatever MAC you want or you have to stay within the VMware-owned window of MAC's. I am too lazy to check but I am sure that either on these forums, on the KB or on the ESX manuals there is the answer.

Massimo.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>At this point however I am not sure whether you can create whatever MAC you want or you have to stay within the VMware-owned window of MAC's.

As far as I know you have to use the MAC address in VMware's range

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well at least you can ask for a new license and keep it "forever" ...... After all they have to have a process to give you a new MAC based license because if you need to change the server or even the NIC .....

Massimo.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Plus if you change the mac and you ever decide to reuse that physical server for something else, you would have an issue.

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can go to the licensing section on BMC's support site and renew your Remedy licenses for whatever new mac you may have. I don't think there's a limit to the number of times you can renew. Although I imagine some counter sitting somewhere on their end keeping track.

Just to note, the mac won't change with a hot migration. Thus with DRS or a manual vmotion (hot), the mac will remain the same. However, cold migrations causes a mac change. So be aware!

Message was edited by:

Jwoods - fix typos

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

cold migrations causes a mac change

do they ? Are you sure ?

Say that instead of doing VMotion you want to shut the vm down and cold migrate it ...... would this change the vmx file ? I would say it does not....

Massimo.

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Say that instead of doing VMotion you want to shut

the vm down and cold migrate it ...... would this

change the vmx file ? I would say it does not....

When performing a cold migrate you get the two options of "keep..." & "move..." The keep option will maintain the mac, while the move option will cause a mac change. I should've been more clear with that in the orig. statement Smiley Happy

0 Kudos