4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2007 1:28 PM by IdeCable

Terminal services virtualisation

FFMan Novice

Do I understand correctly that it is not recommended that you run a terminal services server in a virtual environment ? Can anyone highlight why it isn't recommended ?

Has anyone out there done it and succeeded or failed ?

• 1. Re: Terminal services virtualisation
          oreeh Guru

As always it depends...

Terminal servers are very CPU intensive and therefore not good candidates for virtualization.

If you only have a few users which only use "normal" applications (Office and the like) it normally works.

To be sure - try it (and post the results).

• 2. Re: Terminal services virtualisation
            bluehaven Enthusiast

I use a TS in a virtualized enviorment. I have one that all my local cororate users connect to, and one that all my remote users connect to. The app I run is not that intensive on the TS itself, but on my application front end it is. SO mybe thats why it works for me. I will have it in full blown production some time in the next couple of weeks so we will see then! Oh yeah, I have it running on a monster too though!!

Message was edited by:

bluehaven

• 3. Re: Terminal services virtualisation
              dirk74 Enthusiast

We are running a W2K3 terminal server with up to 15 concurrent users.

Applications: Office, SAP, SalesLogix, ...

Virtual RAM: 1,4 GB

Host: HP Proliant DL 380, 2x 3.4 GHz CPU, 6x146 GB (RAID 10), 8 GB ram, Debian 4.0

5 VMs running.

Earlier experienced problems running the same amount of VMs on the host with only 4 GB ram. Massive swapping occured and the terminal server was painfully slow. Since I plugged in a few more memory modules, no more problems.

Greetings

Dirk

• 4. Re: Terminal services virtualisation
                IdeCable Novice

I am running a Windows 2000 Server domain controller,

over VMware Server 1.0.3,

Using Suse Linux 10,

AMD64 X2 @2.5Ghz and 4Gig DDR2

~20 users, Exchange 2000 and SQL 2000 Server.

Mem:   4130496k total,  3988236k used,   142260k free,    13444k buffers

Swap:  8193128k total,     3640k used,  8189488k free,  3807632k cached

(copy-paste of top..)

So my host OS is not even using swap at all.

My virtual machine have the ACPI multiprocessor configuration. My SQL Server uses the NT fibers and both of the virtual CPUs. SQL 2000 is set to lock 3gig of the vm's RAM for only the SQL. I have 3.6Gigs of ram alocated for this vm. (I only run one VM by the way over this server..).

The server is using a software RAID1 off an nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1). It pushes more than 3gigs/secs of buffered reading and 80megs/secs of unbuffered reading.

My host OS also hosts basic Linux services such as Samba.

It is still in testing. This will be our main production server next week.

I had to add the two parameters to my vmx config file:

MemTrimRate="0"

mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"

This fixed the performance issues I was dealing with. It forces the VMware Server not to swap some of the virtual ram to disk (it's good to have this enabled when you have lots of ram).. It fixed my disk access issues.

So \*if* you have enought ram, and \*if* you're running SMP, then I'd say VMware Server is proper for a domain controller/terminal services/SQL 2000/Exchange.

It's always good to do benchmarks.