VMware Cloud Community
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine power on stalls and cannot be cancelled

Hello,

Actually it's all in the topic. Sometimes when I start a VM, a task starts and displays "In Progress". Everything seems good except that the tasks never finishes and cannot be cancelled. The only way I found to cancel it is to reboot the server.

As anyone already have this issue ?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You do not have to reboot the server for that, below is a process to kill a stuck VM.

How can I kill a stuck virtual machine?

ESX 3.0 method

o Login to the service console

o You can check the VM state by typing “vmware-cmd /”

o You will be prompted if you want to include a screenshot of the VM, send an NMI to the VM and send a ABORT to the VM, you must answer Yes to the ABORT question to kill the VM. The entire process will take about 5-10 minutes to run. It will create a tar archive in the directory you run it in.

fyi...if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...thanks

VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

you can force a vm to stop by issueing the following command in the Service console :vmware-cmd <vm-cfg-path> stop Hard

Where <vm-cfg-path> is the full path to the virtual machine's config file. Remember, this is like pulling the power cord on the virtual machine but so would rebooting the host. The above should let you stop the vm without having to reboot the host.

Does the vm acutally power up and get on the network? can you ping it?

Have a look through your logs as well to see if anything stands out. Note the time of the power on and see if there are any corresponding log entries of note.

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

When I use vmware-cmd :

VMControl error -11: No such virtual machine

And the VM is not in the ps, the vm-support -x doesn't list this VM ...

This one seems quit stuck !

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

Can you use vmware-cmd to try to start the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to start :

\# vmware-cmd GateProtect.vmx start

When I try to check the heartbeat :

#vmware-cmd GateProtect.vmx getheartbeat

VMControl error -8: Invalid operation for virtual machine's current state

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"vmware-cmd GateProtect.vmx start "

Hello,

You need to use the full filesystem path to the virtual machine starting at /

Give it a go and let us know what happens.

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

\

1. vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/NetApp\ Storage/GateProtect/GateProtect.vmx start

I had tried this before but didn't work two

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

Ok ... I found a way to get the information :

\# vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/7f8c318d-ac4ca300/GateProtect/GateProtect.vmx getstate

getstate() = off

\# vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/7f8c318d-ac4ca300/GateProtect/GateProtect.vmx start

start() = 1

But it didn't clear out the VCenter task ...

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

It is still not right which is why you get the error message you are.

Issue the following command to get the list of virtual machines and their full path:

vmware-cmd -l

This will list your virtual machines and give you the full path. Then using the full path given to you in the above command try to start the virtual machine with the command mentioned in the earlier posts

VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

awesome. Did the virtual machine start successfully and the task is just hanging around?

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

The task is still hanging around, the VM has not started.

This VM is only test, is there any way to turn it off kill the task and delete the VM ?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

You can force the virtual machine off with the vmware-cmd command doing a "vmware-cmd /path/to/config/file stop hard"

Not sure if that will also clear up the job though. Can't hurt to try.

Do you see anything in the window were you kicked off the virtual machine startup?

Have you had a chance to check the logs?

0 Kudos
rphilippe
Contributor
Contributor

No I was unable to take control over the VMs. I stopped it hard and restarted the VC service this cleared the tasks without having to reboot.

Unfortuanately I still don't really know where it came from !

0 Kudos
PotiPotato
Contributor
Contributor

If you are running VirtualCenter, then this problem is a symptom of your VMWare VirtualCenter Server service stopping during the start process. Check to see if this service is still running. If so, then you may need to restart it. In my experience with this issue, this will clear the "in progress" task and will allow you to start the VM again.

As I've noticed that this service stops occasionally, has anyone else had the same problem? Is there a fix for it?

0 Kudos