VMware Communities
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suspend and Resume Issue

My issue is this: When I Suspend/Resume at times I will loose me network connection. I use bridged-networking and after resuming I am notified that I am connected at 1GB. However, when I go to open either FF or IE the connection fails. If I turn off the Ethernet connection at the top of the page and turn it back on - then in time I can open the browsers.

On the other hand - if I totally log out of windows XP and shut it down, then come back later and log in - I have never had the network connection fail.

Anybody else have this issue and a potential solution?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of IP address are you getting? If it's DHCP, it's likely that your guest (XP, it sounds like) isn't realizing that the DHCP lease is no longer valid, and trying to use the old IP address.

Do you have tools installed? They might solve this issue.

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My IP address is DHCP and yes Tools is installed.

On Parallels - this has never been an issue. Really not certain why it is specific with VMware. You bring up an interesting point regarding the "lease" and a time-out. Any idea of what step/s I could take to possibly verify this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Any idea of what step/s I could take to possibly verify this?

If you resume a suspended VM and are unable to connect to the internet, try getting a new lease. To do this in XP, open a command prompt and type

ipconfig \release[/code]

followed by

ipconfig \renew[/code]

If this works, then it's likely you didn't get a new lease for some reason. This is weird, because AFAIK, Tools should take care of getting a new lease.

What version of Tools do you have installed? Have you tried reinstalling them?

When you unsuspend the VM, does a command prompt window briefly pop up? Open Tools, go to the Scripts tab, and look at the entries for "Suspend Guest Operating System" and "Resume Guest Operating System" -- my default suspend script has

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMip.exe" -release[/code]

and my default resume script has

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMip.exe" -renew[/code]

If you have anything in the suspend/resume scripts, do the specified programs exist? What happens if you try to run them?

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am away from the computer and will not get to try some of this until later. I will post back.

NOTE.

I should have thought of the ipconfig \release\renew.

I have the most recent beta and I assume the most current version of Tools too. I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling. This I will consider after your other suggestions. Also, when I unsuspend, yes a command prompt does pop up. But it is not necessarily brief. There has been occasion when it stayed active for a few minutes.

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos