VMware Communities
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor

Ubunto 7.04 Feisty Fawn VMTools Protocol Error

After installing VMTools on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Desktop and Server I get the following error when Mounting local filesystems...

Error: Cannot mount filesystem: Protocol Error

and also I get the following failure:

Mounting HGFS shares: failed

I opened /etc/fstab and noticed the following new entries added by VMTools:

\# Beginning of the block added by the VMware software

.host:/ /mnt/hgfs vmhgfs defaults,ttl=5 0 0

\# End of the block added by the VMware software

After I commented out the following line:

#.host:/ /mnt/hgfs vmhgfs defaults,ttl=5 0 0

it stopped the error on boot, but I guess the /mnt/hgfs mount point for .host is broken.

Is this a bug or is there another option I can change with the .host line in fstab?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wild guessing here, but I've got Feisty i386 and AMD64 VMs working fine with shared folders. When you installed VMTools (which I did using the tar.gz package), did you see in the installation messages the compiling and building of the hgfs driver? I did, along with a line that said something

like "Yep, the kernel likes that".

By the way, I installed Feisty using the Live DVD

(from cdimage.ubuntu.com) rather than any live CD.

0 Kudos
joeberry
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting a similar error (ie, protocol error). I built the vmhgfs driver and it is installed. Here's my output:

jberry@jubuntu:~$ modinfo vmhgfs

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/misc/vmhgfs.ko

description: VMware Host/Guest File System

author: VMware, Inc.

srcversion: 8BF18958A0F87E2A3AB0095

depends:

vermagic: 2.6.20-16-generic SMP mod_unload 586

But when I try to mount, I get the following:

jberry@jubuntu:~$ sudo mount .host:/

Error: cannot mount filesystem: Protocol error

jberry@jubuntu:~$

jberry@jubuntu:~$ uname -a

Linux jubuntu 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 20:19:32 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

jberry@jubuntu:~$

My /etc/fstab has the same value for .host:/ as was indicated at the beginning of this thread.

I have rebooted, too. BTW, I am running Pocket ACE (if that matters). When I look at my possible list of shares, the list is empty even though I have created a full share folder on the same portable drive that ubuntu is running from. I'm sure I'm missing something stupid but can't see what it might be. I've reviewed the WS 6.0 docs for shared folders and cannot see anything amiss.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

0 Kudos
joeberry
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found the problem. I went and restarted the ACE master VM. I found a place where I'm supposed to enable shared folders. I did that, added a particular folder and now I'm good. I should have experimented more before posting a note.

Joe

0 Kudos