VMware Cloud Community
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

Cold migration of VM fails with Operation Timed Out error

Hi folks.

environment: ESX3.0.1, VC2.0, windows 2000 SP4 VM's, 2 ESX Hosts

I've been chasing after this for a couple days...Everytime I attempt to do a cold migrate (NOT VMOTION) on a VM from ESX1 to ESX2 the migration gets to about 7% then fails with the "Operation Timed out" error.

I have been thru the VPX log file and the errors present are as follows:

unable to invoke configuresource.exception vim.fault.licenserverunavailable

and

failed to connect to host: 902. check that authd is running correctly (lib/connect error 11)

I have stopped/restarted my licensing server, i have ensured the boxes can communicate (Ping), i've added host names in the respective etc/hosts files. I can telnet from my VC management server to both ESX servers on Port 902 successfully

I'm not sure what the "authd" is in the one error...

Any thoughts??

Bruce

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tallarico
Contributor
Contributor

From the "Configuration" tab > "Licensing" on the destination ESX host:

What features and components are licensed?

0 Kudos
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

esx standard,

vmotion,

backup,

esx agent.

i didnt note, that one of the esx hosts had a netbios name of the license server rather than IP...

not sure if that was causing the problem...i'll have to run another migrate...

its presently sitting at 7% probably gonna die...

0 Kudos
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

yes, it just died...

i'll clean it up and run another and see what happens...

0 Kudos
Tallarico
Contributor
Contributor

Check the "DNS and Routing" section under the "Configuration" tabs to be sure they are identical.

Then remove/re-add the cluster via the VC console. (If indeed you have a cluster specified).

0 Kudos
brucecmc
Contributor
Contributor

no cluster...

but, i think i ruled out dns issue by modifying the /etc/hosts to reflect the IP/host name...???

but, to answer the question...dns/routing look fine...

bruce

0 Kudos
jjam3774
Contributor
Contributor

ESX relies heavily on DNS, but I think that you should ensure that the service console connections are set the same. For example on server_a your setting may be on half duplex while server_b is set on full. We had a similar problem with our cloning and migrations timing out, but the problem went away once we set both ends to 100full duplex. I think that may be your issue. It seems like all of your migrations and cloning are done through the service console connections.

0 Kudos
piacas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMconvertor can do...do you have an enterprise license? I've used it in that situation. Also esxMigrator from Vizioncore will do....plus the eval license will do 2 migrations......

0 Kudos