VMware Cloud Community
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Testking

In just about every topic that has a question about the VCP exam someone will recommend that you should use Testking to study for the exam. I am wondering how people feel about this. Do you think it is ok to use Testking (and other braindumps) or do you feel it is cheating? Personally I think it is cheating and wish that companies like VMware would take more aggressive action against companies like Testking. I have worked with a number of MCSEs who used Testking to get their certs that I wouldn't trust to touch any system on my network and I fear the same thing will happen with the VCP. I am not trying to start a holy war on the board but I am interested to see how people feel about this. If you do think it is cheating I would like to know what people would suggest to help keep the VCP from becoming another paper MCSE cert. If you don't think it is cheating please explain why so I can try and see it from your point of view.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
15 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Rob,

You're right, I've started noticing quite a bit more threads asking about the Testkings. What's hard for me to believe is that people actually post on VMware's forum that they are using or considering using the Testkings for the VCP exam.

I supposed that those folks don't consider it cheating to use the Testkings, but I can guarantee you that VMware does...and are very unhappy about the Testkings.

It's one thing to use the Testking, it's another thing to throw it in VMware's face. I think that it's disrespectful regardless of right or wrong.

This reminds me of the movie "Quiz Show" from the 90's where the guy was given the questions beforehand and thought he could clear his conscience by at least finding the answers by himself. Either way, was it still considered cheating?

The only benefit I see to all of this is that they will have to get away from the multiple choice exam format...and go for the practicum type exam ...like the CCIE, RHCE, CLP...etc. Let's test true knowledge, not just memorization and reading and comprehension skills. Let's not make the questions overly difficult for difficulty's sake. Let's not have questions that leave room for interpretation and cause confusion. Let's not make people want to resort to materials like the Testkings just so they feel they have a fair shot at the exam.

Testkings don't help when you have to get up in front of a class and teach the courseware. Testkings don't help when you have to perform at a client site. If we're playing "Trivial Pursuit"...then perhaps the Testkings have some value. I'm not taking a stance or pointing fingers one way or the other on this issue, just pointing out the flaws on both sides.

Chris

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ive got a testking and its quite comical...some of the questions are missing and on some so are some answers.

Do you think though that the study material is not easy to get into a exam mode with? I try to get my partner to ask random questions in the material and its impossible. With microsoft courses you have some scope to ask questions within the material.

Dan

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Dan,

I tend to agree with you. Some of the material doesn't seem to translate well into a multiple choice question...and would be better served with either a simulation...or a lab type environment.

If someone's going to use a Testking, (and I'm not promoting that), then they better make sure that they look up every answer in the online documentation and courseware.

Chris

0 Kudos
cjkhan
Contributor
Contributor

I would say its cheating ... but why fret? Doesnt VMware have the mandatory VI3 I&C class to ensure that the VCP exam maintains its integrity and doesnt churn out "paper" VCPs like the MCSE of past times. (By the way, all this is said "tongue-in-cheek"). I agree though that a practical lab based exam would be the best way to go, but logistics of doing so could pose problem.

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes the fact I have to get on the course for VI3 before taking the exam means I have spent £2000 already! I doubt VMware reallllly care about people memorising questions! Maybe we need to ask why we need to pay for an exam as well!

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I agree. I would think that a voucher for the exam could be included with the class...

On the subject of the Testking or other aids I guess I could go either way. If someone isn't taking the time to actually learn the material and doesn't use any other methods it's pretty lame. On the other hand as a way to brush up on things you believe you already know....maybe? Unfortunately there is no real way to tell who is who.

I wouldn't ever trust those tools 100% anyway, always better to just know the subject matter and deal with it day to day.

0 Kudos
DReller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even a discounted voucher would be a nice cookie at the end of the course.

No matter what method one uses to study for the tests, the best resource will be the VMWare published guides (well, and hands-on). Even using sources like TestKing and the like, you always need to check the validity of the answers if you are not 110% sure it's correct.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Yes the fact I have to get on the course for VI3

before taking the exam means I have spent £2000

already! I doubt VMware reallllly care about people

memorising questions! Maybe we need to ask why we

need to pay for an exam as well!

You need both the exam and course in order to obtain certification. Whether or not you sit the course before taking the exam is up to you.

Jason

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion

Buying actual exam questions is cheating.

VMware could easily nullify much of TestKings impact by creating a better exam. First increase the question pool, its hard to memorize hundreds of questions. Second add more interactive questions (ie, drag and drop), these are hard to reproduce for the braindumpers. And third throw in some of the longer scenario based questions like MS uses on some of their exams. To me these 3 things would make it much harder for anyone who doesn't know their stuff and wouldn't cost VMware (or the test takers) as much as a hands on exam, although I would love to see a hands on exam for a higher level certification.

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I agree with that also. Something like the design 'scenarios' in the AD Design tests with interviews, existing environment, and requirements to move to a VI3 platform.

I had heard there was some discussion around those different 'levels' of certification and I'm assuming that it would be similar to the MCP/MCSA/MCSE type split?

0 Kudos
meti143
Contributor
Contributor

just read your own brain dumps and dont go for buying exams from testking

anyways try to get help from internet its best.

0 Kudos
VMware_Adam
Contributor
Contributor

What is the point of testking? It helps you pass the VCP exam good for you! Now what? You will not be prepared for any interviews let alone actual job by just memoriazing a bunch of questions. So in a sense you just wasted your $$$ on a test and test cheat sheet that will not benefit you in anyway. Better try to understand the material so when get the certifcate, you know you are ready to jump in.

Don't be a pretender Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Chris Huss wrote:

Rob,

You're right, I've started noticing quite a bit more threads asking about the Testkings.  What's hard for me to believe is that people actually post on VMware's forum that they are using or considering using the Testkings for the VCP exam.

I'd really like to second this.

It's one thing to get upset at people using brain dumps - which happens a lot, and is completely understandable. It's cheating, and it leads to people who really aren't qualified walking around with the same cert I studied for.

That said, when people can make a post on VMware's on own forum, talking about how successful they got through such an avenue, and note that no feedback comes from VMware, it's very hard to believe this line.

but I can guarantee you that VMware does...and are very unhappy about the Testkings.

And given the assumption that VMware don't care - the line blurs a lot.

It's been an ongoing issue with Cisco too - their own "learning network" is full of braindump discussions. There's always someone who studied hard who points out the downsides of it, but noone with any authority seems to have a problem.

Edit: To also comment on this:

What is the point of testking? It helps you pass the VCP exam good for you! Now what?

Business reality:

Now your employer can join the VSPP program and make a profit.

0 Kudos
lbryson72
Contributor
Contributor

How is using TestKing cheating unless they are using the exact same questions from the Exam?

I am a VMware Administrator at my current job and decided to get my VCP as a personal accomplishment.

I am reading Mastering VMware by Scott Lowe and using a practice exam from Test King.

When I get answers wrong then I go back and read up on that subject more or hit the lab.

Also I don't think VMware is upset about people using practice tests since they have some recommended on their site.

Also it was a VMware Rep that recommended I use TestKing.

LBryson

0 Kudos
bauer2011
Contributor
Contributor

Testking is in no way cheating. Its just a source for studying. Mayb 10% of the questions will be on the exam. Everyone knows certs are pointless anyway. In this day, there usually used to get the interview and to make yourself more marketable. The questions are too situational anyway and rarely translate to the real world. On the job is where your going to learn everything you need.

0 Kudos