VMware Communities
djflux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Register for every new version

Do I really have to re-register (i.e. fill out the registration form again) everytime a new beta comes out? I already have a serial number for my Fusion installation I just want the new beta.

If I really do it's not a big deal, but it seems a little redundant Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Flux.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I've never been patient enough to wait for the email notice saying there's a new beta, so I've been re-registering too. The situation appears to be the same for Workstation 6. On other VMware betas, they have a login that takes you a license key and download section without having to fill out a form each time. I'm not sure why the consumer/desktop products are different.

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess is this is a way to prevent the user base from growing indefinitely, and for expiring keys for older releases so they don't end up on Ebay. Sun likes to claim millions of downloads of Solaris 10, but they've no idea how many are actually in use. I like the re-id process as a means of managing stale accounts as a minimum. I'm 61 years old and I've spent 10 minutes max of those years registering for Fusion products on two occasions. Hell, I've spent more time in front of a urinal on a good day.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>On other VMware betas, they have a login that takes you a license key and download section without having to fill out a form each time. I'm not sure why the consumer/desktop products are different.

From other posts in other beta forums, it's due to a new system they are using to handle the beta versions. They are supposedly working on it, and hope to change this in the future.

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

I raised this before and the answer was on the thread http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=608488&#608488

0 Kudos
djflux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link to the thread.

0 Kudos