VMware Communities
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion GUI crashing and burning with pre-existing VM

I have a bunch of VMs that I copied from my Linux workstation.

One of these is causing Fusion to abruptly terminate without notification. Bam! GUI gone. Any other VMs that were running beforehand continue to run in the background in the same manner as when one forcibly terminates the GUI.

There are no log files being generated that I can see. Where do I go from here?

I remember this being an issue before, but am having trouble finding the previous discusion with "Search." Sorry. \*blush*

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post the problematic vmx. One hunch would be that you're trying to use some feature that the beta doesn't support, such as teams.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry. I finally found ~/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log (attached).

It looks like it's failing an assert. Any ideas on what's going on?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Trying turning off debugging checks in VMware Fusion > Preferences and see if that works around the Asserts your seeing. You have to restart Fusion for this to completely take effect.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I turned off the debugging checks, halted the VMs running in the background, and exited Fusion completely.

I opened Fusion, chose the problematic VM, and got the same result. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post the problematic vmx. One hunch would be that you're trying to use some feature that the beta doesn't support, such as teams.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doh!

I spent some more time staring at the .vmx and .vmxf.

I just barely ran the .vmx through sort, and noticed that yes, indeed, it had the the line

inVMTeam="TRUE"

I previously looked for that specifically in the unsorted config file, but didn't notice it until I sorted the .vmx.

I commented out that line, and behold, it works.

I filed this behaviour as a bug in Beta 2. I'd expect a dialog box saying that Fusion doesn't support team members rather than bombing the entire GUI.

0 Kudos