VMware Cloud Community
aleris
Contributor
Contributor

Adaptec 29320-LPE PCI-e Ultra320 SCSI - Supported?

We are upgrading a server to a HP DL385-G2 that has SAS drives and PCI-e slots. Unfortunately, the tape drive is an Ultra320 and the new server has no SCSI ports. The ESX 3 HCL does not mention any PCI-e SCSI controllers. Any chance that the Adaptec controller would work?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If it is not on the HCL there is a good chance it will not work, if it does work it will not be supported.

0 Kudos
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aleris, not sure if anyone got back to you with your original question...but this is for the points...you can be rest assured that the Adaptec 29320LPE [b]DOES WORK[/b][/u] with VMware ESX 3.01. I have a fully patched system running on an Intel 5000PSLSATA MB and the 29320LPE WORKS!!!!!!! I am glad that it does because I had a similar scenario as you did and just took the risk against the HCL and VMware ESX 3.01 recognizes the card as an AHA-29320ALP. I tested Computer Associates Brightstor 11.1SP2 on a VM guest that has a physical connection to the tape drive and was able to successful backup 7GB in 5 minutes and restore at 7GB at 10 minutes. Have fun with this card. I am certain that we will see the Adaptec 29320LPE added the HCL in the next revision.

0 Kudos
smsf
Contributor
Contributor

I bought this card and it is recognized as AHA-29320ALP under the VMWare host. However, I could not get the VM to autodetect the tape drive when I connect the cable to the physical device. On a physical server, as soon as I plug in the SCSI cable, Windows detects the tape drive.

I've already restarted the VM. Do I need to restart the VMHost with the tape drive plugged into the controller for it to detect the tape drive?

0 Kudos
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my experience I just needed to restart the VM guest. How are you configuring the device for the VM guest?

0 Kudos
Memo62
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all this informations! If Adaptec 29320LPE works with ESX 3.01, it would work with ESX 4.0 too? I have a simular Problem to Aleris. We are going to use a HP ProLiant DL 360 G6 QC E5520 with the 29320LPE to connect an LTO2 HP-Ultrium 448 Streamer. A W2K8 VM is going to use this Streamer, so we have to pass through the SCSI-Adapter to the VM. Would that work? Any advice?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for all this informations! If Adaptec 29320LPE works with ESX 3.01, it would work with ESX 4.0 too? I have a simular Problem to Aleris. We are going to use a HP ProLiant DL 360 G6 QC E5520 with the 29320LPE to connect an LTO2 HP-Ultrium 448 Streamer. A W2K8 VM is going to use this Streamer, so we have to pass through the SCSI-Adapter to the VM. Would that work? Any advice?

Yes, the 29320LPE works with ESX4. I'm running that card in a HP Dl385 G5 with a HP 920 LTO3 autoloader. VM is Windows Server 2008 with Backup Exec 12.5. Technically, the 29320LPE is not on the HCL, but the 29320ALS is and appears to use the same driver.

0 Kudos