VMware Communities
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot questions

I installed the new beta 2 earlier this week. After some evil crash caused by the RTM build of your competitors application. Anyway I really like the Snapshot feature but is it possible to get a list of all the Snapshots or give them a name? And can I also remove all the snapshots earlier then the current or chosen snapshot?

Like I got these snapshots:

Windows XP Installation

Drivers

Apache

Delphi

I would like to remove everything but the Delphi snapshot, and make this the initial or base snapshot of the computer. After installing some more stuff like snapshots for:

Visual Studio

BuggyApp

I might want to go back to the earlier snapshot of Visual Studio because BuggyApp failed to install correctly. How can I go back to Visual Studio or to Delphi instead?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unlike Workstation, Fusion only supports a single snapshot, so you won't be able to build a chain like this. On Workstation, you would use the Snapshot Manager to do all this.

Edited for grammar --etung 2007.03.06 17:18

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Oh bummer! It would be a killer if it was supported... You can even hide it in some obscure console application or script if you want Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Like Eric said named snapshots and/or a snapshot tree are not in the Fusion GUI but like many other features, it's all power under the hood. The consumer version is like a jet engine in a shiny roadster. Smiley Happy

You can probably script a command line snapshot manager but without VIX that's a lot of undocumented manipulation. VMware is seeing the interest for Workstation features with every request like this.

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Are their any resources about how to do that?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Are there any resources about how to do that?

Changing your question slightly to "public, non-proprietary resources," the answer is none that I'm aware of.

0 Kudos