VMware Cloud Community
okramb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NT4.0 Windows Installer Error

When I attempt to install p2v assistant by executing VMware-p2v-3.0.0-39557.exe, the InstallShield Wizard dies after couple of seconds while "Configuring Windows Installer". Immediately after that, Windows Installer pops up with a message that says "Incorrect Command Line Parameters."

This is an NT4.0 SP6 machine, Windows Installer service is running and I am logged in as Administrator.

Any insight will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you check around on the Internet that error can happen for alot of reasons. One thing you might try is to run the exe so it unpacks to the windows temp directory (Should be something like C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\_is13) but don't close the installer window so you can copy the un-packed files to another directory. Then manually try to run the msi file by doing a msiexec -i "vmware converter.msi"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is supported on NT4.0 SP6, do you by chance have a space in the network hostname of the computer? What version of windows installer are you running, you can go to a CMD prompt and type msiexec to find out? You can try downloading and installing version 2.0 which is the latest supported for NT 4.0. Are you running it locally or from a network share?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4b6140f9-2d36-4977-8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&displa...

0 Kudos
okramb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The hosname of the machine is DBTMASTER, so no, there are no spaces.

The version of Windows Installer is 2.00.2600.0.

I am trying to run it from the local disk, not a network share.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you check around on the Internet that error can happen for alot of reasons. One thing you might try is to run the exe so it unpacks to the windows temp directory (Should be something like C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\_is13) but don't close the installer window so you can copy the un-packed files to another directory. Then manually try to run the msi file by doing a msiexec -i "vmware converter.msi"

0 Kudos
okramb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it, thank you.

This time, I did not click OK button when Windows Installer reported "incorrect command line parameters." Instead, I went to Start->Find->Files_or_Folders and did a search for "vmware". , which showed "vmware converter.msi" in two places. I copied one od them to the Desktop and ran msiexec -i "vmware converter.msi" from the command window.

Thank you, again.

0 Kudos
Build_Interns
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello - sorry to bring this thread back alive but I have the same problem. And I have done copied the VMware converter.msi to my desktop and try to run in through msiexec /i vmware converter.msi but i get an error it says you may be running in safe mode or might have a problem.. however i am not running in safe mode anyone know what to do ?

0 Kudos