VMware Cloud Community
mouloudb
Contributor
Contributor

VLAN Trunking on ESX 3

Hi

I have a client with the following config.

Virtual switch connected to one NIC in this virtual Switch we connected a service Console , Vlan 3 and Vlan 9 which is routed. this ESX server is connected to Cisco switch with vlan 3 and 9. the customer created a trunk port betweem two Vlans the esx server disconect from the network completly.

Do you have an idea how this customer needs to do this.

Thank you

Regards

Mouloud

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did the customer enter the VLAN ID (either 3 or 9) in the properties of the Server Console port group on the vSwitch. Also make sure that the native VLAN on the trunked port is not VLAN 3 or 9.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Check out this white paper on VLAN trunking...

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_vlan_wp.pdf

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

You don't have beacon probing[/b] turned on in the Nic Teaming[/i] tab for the Network Failover Detection[/i] setting do you - for either the vswitch or any of the port groups on the vswitch?

I had lot's of problems with this - in the end I just stuck to the default of Link Status Only[/i].

I've had no problems since then.

Dinny

0 Kudos
mouloudb
Contributor
Contributor

I created VLAN ID 3 and VLAN ID 9

0 Kudos
woodsta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Check that the vlan id's you are using relate to the ones used on the clients switches.

Go to the config tab in the virtual infrastructure client and click on network adaptors > expand the "Networks" section of the config window and hover the mouse over it, a window should/will appear listing the discovered available network ranges and their associates VLAN ID's

Ensure you replicate these ID's in your VLAN settings.

You may find that what you perceive to be vlan 1 is actually vlan 101 in the switch config.

Message was edited by:

woodsta

0 Kudos
VTorque
Contributor
Contributor

Check this link as well - helped me get 6 NICs teamed/aggregated. Inbound and outbound load-balancing AND failover, with 7 VLANs running over the top.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2006/12/04/esx-server-nic-teaming-and-vlan-trunking/

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This also helped me get it working and I finally figured out the port group concept in VI3.

In ESX 2.5 I would create a virtual switch and break it up into multple port groups.

In VI3 it appears you now assign multiple Vswitches to the same physical nics and put the different VLAN ID on each switch (or I believe you can also set the vlan ID to all so it sees all vlans allowed over the trunk)

That had me stumped for hours.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You can assign multiple physical NIC's to a vSwitch, but you can't have multiple vSwitch's using the same physical NIC.

Virtual Switch - Cannot share (uplinks) physical NICs with other virtual switches

http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/tac9689-b.pdf

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am going to create a new question thread for this...

0 Kudos