14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2007 12:42 AM by Chiel

VC 2 for mixed environment

bovc Enthusiast

Hi,

I have 2 old ESX servers (2.5.3) and 2 new (3.0.1) and a virtual center server ver. 1.3.1

Can I just upgrade VC to ver. 2 (so that I can manage all esx servers) without problems? My main concern here, is whether I will still be able to manage the two old servers and e.g. create new VM's on their VMFS2 storage?

If this is all possible, I will do it right a way, so that I can migrate all the VMs to the new servers without problems - and without hazzle (depending on the above question).

Thanks in advance,

Rasmus

• 1. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
          VirtualKenneth Master
          vExpert

Yes this shouldn't be a problem, be sure to take the 2.0.1 version of VC and disconnect your hosts from the VC1.x

• 2. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
            bovc Enthusiast

Perfect - thanks.

Can I download the 2.0.1 version and upgrade directly, or do I need to uprade to the 2.0 version first?

Disconnect ESX servers? OK. This doesn't happen automatically?

/Rasmus

• 3. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
              VirtualKenneth Master
              vExpert

You can just download the 2.0.1 version directly. (just mentioning that in case you had previously downloaded 2.0 and wanted to install that version)

I'm not sure any more, it's been a while since I did that but if it doesn't do it automatically remember the saying

Last note: start with a new database instead of upgrading since upgrading could get you into trouble (read a lot of things about it)

• 4. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                bovc Enthusiast

Thanks again.

Actually, I too discovered a few posts mentioning upgrade problems...

But what "features" will I loose if I chose fresh instead of upgrade? Will it affect e.g. the two old environments running esx2?

This is pretty important system running on the esx2, so if there's a downside not to upgrade, I will reconsider...

Thanks,

Rasmus

• 5. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                  VirtualKenneth Master
                  vExpert

You won't loose any features, you just have to re-add the ESX2 systems to the VC2 server (and thus the database)

The things you will loose is historical (event) information.

You can also decide to use a new VC2 for the new ESX3 systems and keep the VC1 active until you are migrating the ESX2 hosts to ESX3

• 6. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                    bovc Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks. One last question

How do I license the old 2.5 servers in the new VC 2? Is it possible at all, or do I just need to migrate the old servers to ver. 3 before a trial license expires?

Thanks in advance,

Rasmus

• 7. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                      VirtualKenneth Master
                      vExpert

Can't you just use the existing hostbased licensing on the ESX2 servers?

Never did anything with licensing because it was for short term situations.

• 8. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                        Chiel Enthusiast

Im not risking this.

My environment isnt that big. But at a time i had 2 ESX3 boxes and 3 ESX2 boxes connected to VC2...after a few Vmotions ALL my old ESX2 boxes started to hang themselves up. I could even log in to them anymore to nicely powerdown the running VM's.

A reboot of the ESX2 boxes solved the problem, but shutting down around 75 VM's unexpectedly isnt something i wanna have to face again.

Ive heard other people that dont wanna do it due to certain problems...altho they didnt say what problems exactly.

For now, im keeping my environments seperated.

Just food for thought...

• 9. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                          VirtualKenneth Master
                          vExpert

Which ESX2 version are we talking about here?

• 10. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                            biekee Expert

If you decide to manage your esx 2.5 servers through vc 2.x you will have to upgrade your licenses, only then this will be possible.

You have to migrate them to a vc lic file.

bk

• 11. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                              Chiel Enthusiast

I was running ESX2.5.3

Im not 100% sure if the problems where caused by VC2, but it was to coincidental.

Also at my upgrade course the trainer said he wouldnt do this cause he also heard some real bad stories about it. Not sure if this was VC2.0 or VC2.01 tho.

I havent really investigated the problem much further, by now we have completly migrated to ESX3 so no way to check anymore.

By the way, i did use VC201 to Migrate the old VM's to ESX3 without any problems whatsoever. But at that point i just connected the old hosts and migrated them in one go (day). I wouldnt use VC2 to vmotion between the old hosts (2.5.3) thats when things started to get messy for me.

• 12. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                                bovc Enthusiast

Chiel...

If you wouldn't recommend vmotion the VMs how would you get the old VMs to the new servers?

Rasmus

• 13. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                                  VirtualKenneth Master
                                  vExpert

You can either do an offline migrate of just move them via vmkfstools or whatsoever

• 14. Re: VC 2 for mixed environment
                                    Chiel Enthusiast

Like i said...

I wouldnt recommend Vmotioning with VC2 between[/b] old (read lower then version 3.0) servers. And thats what you basicly want if you want to use VC2 for day to day administration.

I did however added an old host to VC2, and then immidiatly started cold migrating to the new environment, or Dmotion which also works.

Since i also heard some problems with day to day administring at my upgrade course from the instructor i thought i would at least share that info.

I sadly cant give you any more hard facts.

Message was edited by:

Chiel