VMware Cloud Community
MBrownHenn
Contributor
Contributor

VMTools install fails

I have a cluster with three ESX 3.0.1 hosts managed by VC 2.0.1, all the latest patches. I have migrated dozens of VM's from the old 2.5 hosts to our new VI3 cluster with virtually no issues using the VC interface. I had to end the VMTools install premature on one VM and then restart it. When I run the install now I get the msi installer screens, etc., but after clicking on "Next" to proceed, it prompts me with a popup message that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or removable disk that is not available. Insert the "VMWare Tools" disk and click OK". In the popup window there is pull-down field labeled "Use Source" and in this field is the number one ("1"). When I cancel this popup, I then get a msi installer message that says "Error 1714: The older version of VMWare Tools cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group".

I have tried removing the files in Program Files VMware, no go. I have tried removing the registry entries for vmware, no go. I have the machine back in the original state with old VMware Tools running, but I can not upgrade them. I have heard some folks with this issue have had to completely rebuild another ESX 2.5 and VC 1.3 environment just to get the VMware Tools.msi file off an .iso that the installer mounts and then copy that over to the VM and point to the new/old

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Chiel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue.

What fixed it for me is doing the upgrade of Vmware Tools under the localadmin account. (Not an account that is placed in the local administrator group, but the real local admin account for the machine you want to upgrade).

0 Kudos
anagy100
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.. Logging in as local admin (instead of a domain account) worked for me.

0 Kudos
DoratheExplorer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What a saviour.

Been banging me 'ead against the wall and could I get VMtools upgraded on a TS server...NO.

Kept prompting for a CD.. Tried logging on with the real local administrator account and it worked....werid one.

Thanks...

Colin.

0 Kudos
mrraph
Contributor
Contributor

Seem to be a problem during the uninstall of the vmware tools, when you try to upgrade with new ones.

I got the same problem... but i was already logged with the administrator account (and unfortunatly it was the only account present on my system), so i had to create a new user and give him administrator rights. Then, i managed to uninstall my vmware tools.

Weird.

0 Kudos
gbjbaanb
Contributor
Contributor

Crikey, what a workaround that is!

Obviously the user you used to install the vmware tools in the first place cannot uninstall it in these conditions. A different (admin) user works fine.

0 Kudos
multirotor
Contributor
Contributor

Great, that works fine !

Created a new account and put it into the administrators group, logged on with that account and then it upgraded the tools just fine.

0 Kudos
johnd
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, worked for me also.

Logged in with a different account with administrator(s) membership and was able to install the Vmware tools!

Great thanks, this have saved me time!

0 Kudos
Goudduif
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried all the suggestions above, but none of them will remove our update the vmware tools on our server.

And Now????? Can anyone give my the solution?

0 Kudos
Goudduif
Contributor
Contributor

I've find the solution.

Removing the info from the registry worked the best for me. Search for vmware tools.msi in the registry. Delete the subkey similar to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\8E24D35BB278E034284D0860A513CF1E that appears in the search with the vmware tools.msi info inside. If you're paranoid export the subkey to a reg file first, just in case.

0 Kudos
DomFarnham
Contributor
Contributor

Deleting a similar key worked for me too.

Thanks

Dom Farnham VCP | CCNA | MCSA | MCTS
0 Kudos