2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2007 7:20 AM by TomHowarth

licensing problem

kaschool Novice

Hi

I have a licensing problem with the trial version of VI3. I registered for the trial on the Website, recieved an email with activation code and 3 license files (VCMS.lic, VI_SingleHost.lic, VI_Centralized.lic).

Even at this point i was a little confused! Why ask me to go to the website with my activation code to generate a license when they had already sent me 3 licenses attached to the email?

Anyway, i went to the webiste, used my activation and had a choice of downloading i think 3 license files, which again confused me! I downloaded just 1. SO now i have 4 license files!

ANyway, i installed ESX on a DP server with 2 procs and I then installed VC 2.0.1 on a seperate windows machine and also installed VIC 2.0 and the licensing server on here. Ok so now i think i'm ready to go. Oh and by the way, when installing the licensing server, i pointed to the license file VI_centralized.lic.

So i go to add a host and it throw up the error "there are not enough licenses to perform this operation". Why is this? My license file seems to have all the parts required:

SERVER this_host ANY 27000

VENDOR VMWARELM port=27010

USE_SERVER

INCREMENT PROD_ESX_FULL VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

VENDOR_STRING=licenseType=Server;capacityType=cpuPackage;gp=14;exclude=BACKUP \

ISSUED=06-Feb-2007 NOTICE=FulfillmentId=293562

INCREMENT ESX_FULL_BACKUP VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

VENDOR_STRING=licenseType=Server;capacityType=cpuPackage \

INCREMENT VC_ESXHOST VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

INCREMENT VC_VMOTION VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

INCREMENT VC_DAS VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

INCREMENT VC_DRS VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 16 \

INCREMENT PROD_VC VMWARELM 2005.05 6-may-2007 1 \

VENDOR_STRING=licenseType=Server ISSUED=06-Feb-2007 \

NOTICE=FulfillmentId=293563 SIGN="1395 1F44 0923 B57D

And if i look on the Admin tab, i see 2 entries:

ESX Server Standard - 1/CPU - 16 remaining - 16 total

VMWare Consolidated Backup - 1/CPU - 16 remaining - 16 total

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Rich

• 1. Re: licensing problem
          kaschool Novice

ok, seems to be fixed now.  The licensing server during installation, will take the contents of the license file you supply and drop this into vmware.lic.  The file I had given it actually didn't have a PROD_VC section.  I have no idea why!  But i suppose i did have 4 license files to choose from!  ANyway, I had actually been trying to force the licensing server to use a different file but it still always seemed to be checking the vmware.lic file, even when selecting the radio button "configuraiton using license file" on the licensing server. 

So to resolve, i found a licence which had all of the sections i needed, including PROD_VC, and i put this in the licensing server folder and renamed it to vmware.lic, stop and start the licensing server and then i was allowed to add a host!

I'm still very confused with the licensing options!  But am fortunately going on the install and confgure course next week so this should help!

Thanks

Rich

• 2. Re: licensing problem
            TomHowarth Guru
            vExpertUser Moderators

this document will give you a very good overview of the VMware license server, and the License file

http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/244/1013698_f.SAL_Public.html

PS next time you ask a question on the forum, mark it as a question, that way you will be able to award points to those who haved aided you.

Regards

Tom