VMware Cloud Community
bevirtual
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install OK, Boot vmkernel fails 0xbad0013

So if one gets this error trying to boot:

WARNING: Mod: 2434: Initialization of vmkernel failed, status 0xbad0013 Mod: 4406: Waiting for vmklogger to dump log buffer. ...

what is the process for getting the log buffer so one can look at what the real error is? Do I have to boot into a different mode? Should I run with any special parameters?

Thanks

P.S.-This is a certified platform that was working at one time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kapplah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

could you pls. post some more details about your platform (vendor, cpu, memory).

We have had a similar problem with out DL385 with two dual core opterons, having only memory on one cpu bank installed.

cu,

Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
kapplah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

could you pls. post some more details about your platform (vendor, cpu, memory).

We have had a similar problem with out DL385 with two dual core opterons, having only memory on one cpu bank installed.

cu,

Alex

0 Kudos
bevirtual
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is an ES7000/one. I will have to get the memory and cpu info from the customer.

I looked up the error code from the 2.5 list that is on vmguru.com and it indicates: DEFINE_VMK_ERR(VMK_INVALID_FS, "No filesystem on the device")\ 195887123 0x0bad0013 13

This sounds more like a boot device problem but I will check out what you said when I get the vm-support files.

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

what is the underlying storage controller?

0 Kudos
bevirtual
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the log files and I see the following:

[7mTSC: 1042173980 cpu0:0)WARNING: MemMap: 1253: shrinking memory range\[100000:201ffff] to mpn=ffffff [0m

[31;1mTSC: 3842999470 cpu0:0)ALERT: MemMap: 1535: No pages allocated to Node 2 : 3843039270 cpu0:0)ALERT: Init: 304: Memory manager could not start (bad0013) [0m

\-- big mismatch between BIOS and SRAT memory maps, or MTRR error, or user removed all memory from a Node. Try checking memory or upgrading BIOS. [0m

[31;1mTSC

looks like we have a physical memory issue or a BIOS problem.

0 Kudos
bevirtual
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was determined that the operator configured an unsupported memory configuration of 128GB. When it was reduced to 64GB, the system booted normally.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
cy79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am facing the same problem here.

My server is HP Prolaint DL585 with 4CPU and 4GB of memory.

May i know what you mean by reduce the memory to 64GB?

Thanks

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I looked up the error code from the 2.5 list that is

on vmguru.com...

Keep in mind that the VMkernel error codes are version dependent. In this case, BAD0013 on 2.5.x. means "No filesysytem on the device". However, on ESX 3.x. that same BAD0013 means "Memory map mismatch".

FYI - My new version for ESX 3.x has been done for several months now, just waiting for it to get added to vmguru Smiley Sad

Luckily, Dominic7 was kind enough to add the updated version to his vmprofessional site:

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=resources

0 Kudos
whoam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running 3.0.2 on and IBM 8877 (4Xopterons) with 32 GB. I had the same issue. Turned out to be the manufacturer had incorrectly populated the DIMM slots. Recheck your manual and make sure your DIMMS are in the correct places.

0 Kudos
jploehn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running an HP DL385 G1 server with 4GB RAM and I had the same problem. I installed ESX 3.5 and it would not boot. After looking at the logs I saw the previously mentioned errors. I "googled" 0xbad0013 and landed here. After reading the posts I realized that the 4x1GB RAM sticks I had installed were all placed in the first 4 RAM slots. Once I moved 2 of the 1GB sticks to the first two RAM slots that is associated with the second processor, everything worked just fine! Thank you for posting this information!

0 Kudos
mbrancy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I spent a few hours trying to fix this error, I found your posting and was able to fix my problem.

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
urbansaint
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bevirtual,

How do you manage to get your logs? It says there i can run "bin/vm-support" to get the logs but doesn't seems to work..

Pls help..

THanks

0 Kudos
nburch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That was it. We are running an HP DL385. I added a second processor and the vmkernel would not boot. As soon as I read the memory on one CPU I knew that was it. I forgot to move 2 dims to the second CPU.

It boots up perfectly now. Thanks for the memory poke Smiley Happy

Norbert.

0 Kudos
JoeZam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am now getting this on 3.5.0 as well. I have an Appro with a Tyan Thunder K8SR motherboard.

I had 4 GB of ram, with 1gb installed on CPU0-DimA1, CPU0-DimA2, CPU1-DimA1, CPU1-DimA2.

I added 2 GB more to the system, with 1gb on each CPU1-DimB1, CPU1-DimB2. This was as instructed by my motherboard's manual.

The Bios recognizes the 6gb, but I get "Memory manager could not start (bad0013)"

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos