4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 3:11 AM by co6812

Remote Access Solution Through Whale to XP VMs

co6812 Enthusiast

Hi,

I have set up a Remote Access solution that currently works like this.

User logs into EGap Whale box using RSA SecureID.  User then clicks RDP Icon and is connected via an Hardware F5 load balancer to one of 30 XP VMs.  User then and logs on as if in the office.

The main problem I have is that once a session is disconnected the load balancer will always send the user to a different session.

Id be interested to know if anyone else has implemented anything similar and if so, what ways have you found to manage user connectivity to the VM's.

We're kind of at a brick wall now with the project so any advice is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Remote Access Solution Through Whale to XP VMs
          davlloyd Expert

We have a similiar design without going into the particulars we use a brokering instance behind the F5. This controls the logic of user to vm allocation. problem you have is you need the connection device to be able to be aware fo what is coming back. A broker only provides connection details which then the receiving client then translates to an RDP connection.

You could consider removing the BigIP device out of the equation as the 30 pool would not require the balancing as the broker can do that for you with the required smarts.

if you are purely concerned with external access into a VM pool then you could look at the offerings from Propero (SSL connection), Leostream (RDP connection), Provision VAS (bit of everything), Dune, even Citrix if your into self mutiliation As with a lot of the discussions on this forum depending on requirements different brokers may be seen to fit.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remote Access Solution Through Whale to XP VMs
            co6812 Enthusiast

Thanks davlloyd.  I'll have a look at all those and see what fits best.  I'll post what happens once I've played around with the evals.

We may want to scale this up to 100 machines or more.  All of which will be used for access over the web.  Would you say this would require the F5 or the Connection Broker shold still be able to handle it.

Thanks for your help.  I now have a direction to go in and by the looks of it good few products to look at.

• 3. Re: Remote Access Solution Through Whale to XP VMs
              davlloyd Expert

We use the F5 to provide resilience to the Broker more then acting as a balancer as the broker load is quite low. Some of the broker solutions have there own resiliant model and do not require hardware such as F5 to compliment it.

• 4. Re: Remote Access Solution Through Whale to XP VMs
                co6812 Enthusiast

I'm currently evaluating Propero and it's looking pretty clever so far.  Thanks very much for your help.