1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2007 4:51 PM by abeleski

HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter

kegwell Enthusiast

I searched the vmware forums for quite a long time looking for a way to migrate VMs from a 2.5 server to a 3.01 server without using VirtualCenter.  After digging around and getting help from everybody, I thought I would complile all the steps I used for those of you that might be looking for the same answers.

Scenario:  I have two ESX servers.  The first server is an 2.5.2 server that is not SAN attached.  All VMs are stored on local disk.  The second ESX server is a brand new ESX 3.01 server that IS SAN attached.  I was unable to use the upgrade method on the 2.5 server due to too many errors on the preupgrade script.  My method was to install 3.01 on the new server, migrate the VMs from 2.5.2 to the new 3.01 server, and upgrade each VM from the new server.  The only quirk is I don't have VirtualCenter.  Here are the steps I took to complete this task:

1) Due to my partitioning scheme and lack of storage on the 2.5.2 server, I had to export the virtual machines to an ext3 partition.  This has to be done using vmkfstools: vmkfstools -e /path/to/save/export.vmdk /vmfs/ Development.  Use the long string of characters instead of 'development'.  For example, vmkfstools -i /import_temp/exported.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/324123423wefqwf23r23r12r/import/

5) After the vmdk was imported, I connected the VI client directly to the ESX server.  From there I created new VM just like you normally would.  Although, instead of selecting 'typical' I chose 'Custom'.  Follow the wizzard, but be sure to select 'Use an existing disk'.  Select the name of the disk you imported in step 4 (import.vmdk in my example).

6) The VM should now be function on your 3.01 server, but you will need to upgrade the hardware.  While the new VM is powered off, right-click on it and select 'Upgrade Virtual Hardware'.  This should only take a second or two.  You can verify the version (2.5 vs. 3.0) by right-clicking and choose 'Edit Settings'.  In the top-right corner you should see, 'ESX 3.x Virtual Machine'.

7) You will now need to ugprade VMware Tools.  Power on the virtual machine and install Vmware Tools like you normally would (i.e. log into the OS, right-click on the virtual machine, then click Install VMware Tools).

8) Run through the VMware Tools wizzard, then restart the VM.  You should now have a fully functional and converted VM-3 without needing VirtualCenter or SAN attached storage.

I'm sure there are many other ways to do this, but I was not able to find any documentation that had step-by-step instructions.  Feel free to add any comments if there is a way to complete this task more efficiently, but please elaborate on your explanation.

Thanks Again!

PS - Don't forget to update the name of your networks if they are different.

Message was edited by:

kegwell

• 1. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
          mstahl75 Master

The only really big suggestions I would have would be to create the VMs prior to  importing the VMDKs. You can either give them a small disk and delete it or not give it any disk and attach it later. This will create the VM directory structure.

Then, when importing, import the disks to the directory with the VM files in it. Then attach the new disks to the VM, if you didn't just delete the smaller one and import with the same vmdk names (I'm not sure if this causes issues with disk size reporting/usage or not).

This keeps all VM files together, which is the default in VI 3.

• 2. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
            kumi Lurker

is the temporary directory that you called  /import_temp on a ext3 partition at the ESX Server 3.0.1 ?

• 3. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
              jackman Novice

Hi Kegwell;

I'm just curious, for the cold migration, are these two independantly licensed servers, or are you taking the 2.5.2 box offline afterwards?  I'm in a similar situation, and am unsure about licensing restrictions..  Thanks!

• 4. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
                kegwell Enthusiast

Jackman,

These are two independent ESX servers.  The ESX 3.01 server that I am migrating all the VMs to is a brand new server and install of ESX.  The 2.5.2 server will be upgraded (fresh install) to 3.01.  Once each servers is at the same release level, we will be using a license server.  At this point the 2.5.2 is obviously  host based licensed.  Is that what you are looking for?

• 5. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
                  KJSchilstra Novice

I am in the process as well.  I found the simplest way has been to scp the virtual disk (vmkd) files to the 3.01 machine and run "vmkfstool -M" which converts vmfs2 to 3.

Then create a new VM using  "custom" and pointing to the existing disk.

Ken

• 6. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
                    Master

You can import 2.5.3 VMs into VI3 easily from the command line, first back the vms up on 2.5.3 then following the instructions in vi3_vm_backup.pdf document, page 49 onwards to restore to VI3.

• 7. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                      abeleski Novice

I have been looking for a step by step guide such as your for a while now. Thanks kegwell.

I have followed the procedure step by step but I am still having some issues. Two particular problems in fact.

I follow the steps in this guide all the way up to step 3 exactly. Then I create a new VM on the ESX 3 server with same details and same specs as the old 2.5 VMK. Once its done, I delete the hard disk and i proceed to step 4. IN step 4 I import the VM into the directory that the VI client created for me i.e the default path. I then upgrade the virtual hardware and start the server up.

problem 1. When I first start up the VM I get a warning that the VM was created using BUS LOGIC scsi adapter but mine is configured for LSI. It gives me the option to convert it. I do this and it seems to work but I am not sure of the consequences. Can someone explain to me if this is a problem?

problem 2. When the VM does boot up and I log in, the network interfaces are not configured with the settings that they were configured under the old 2.5 ESX server environment. Why is that? What am I doing wrong? Should this be expected?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

• 8. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                        abeleski Novice

hmm.. I have done some more testing and if at any point I edit the setting of the VM to use a Bus Logic adapter when I start up the VM it blue screens and reboots right after you get the windows start up logo come up.

• 9. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                          davidbarclay Master

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't VMware Convertor save a lot of pain here?

I have done a 2.5 -> 3.01 migration with no shared storage and no ability to modify source servers (they didn't have vmkernel configured).

Convertor worked a treat. It also does the hardware upgrade and tools upgrade for you.

Dave

• 10. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                            kegwell Enthusiast

When you are creating the temporary disk, go through and make a 'customized' VM.  While going through the wizzard select either BusLogic or LSI (whichever applies) and give that a shot.  I did not run into that problem when I going through it.

The only things i noticed changed in regards to networking was the switch names.  All I had to do was make sure the names of the switches are the same and everything worked great.

Have you made any progress since your last posting?

• 11. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                              abeleski Novice

Dave: I tried using Vmware Convertor 3.0 Enterprise but when I try and import a VM it comes up with an error: "The managed host was actually running ESX2.x, rather than 3.x or VC". We do not run VC in our enviroment which is why I am doing it manually. Unless I am doing this totally wrong!??

kegwell: No I am pretty much still in the same boat. I mean i can gett them to work but I still get those same problems. If I do a customized VM and chose a BusLogic Adapter (LSI is the default), when I boot up the machine it blue screens.  But if I leave it at the default LSI, when I first boot up the VM, it gives me that warning and gives me the option to upgrade it to an LSI Adapter. If I do this it works without a problem and boots up. Strange how you didn;t have that issue. Are all your old 2.5VMs runing BusLogic or LSI adapters?

• 13. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCe
                                stvkpln Master
                                vExpert

problem 1. When I first start up the VM I get a

warning that the VM was created using BUS LOGIC scsi

adapter but mine is configured for LSI. It gives me

the option to convert it. I do this and it seems to

work but I am not sure of the consequences. Can

someone explain to me if this is a problem?

YOu want to use LSI. Let VI3 convert it and move on with your day.. it'll work fine.

problem 2. When the VM does boot up and I log in, the

network interfaces are not configured with the

settings that they were configured under the old 2.5

ESX server environment. Why is that? What am I doing

wrong? Should this be expected?

Since you created a new configuration file (.vmx), it automagically created it as a VI3 VM, meaning it's not aware of the vmxnet NIC you used before.. You can do one of two things:

1. Install VMware Tools and re-configure your NIC settings on the new NIC (it will be the VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter once VMware Tools are installed).

2. Power down the VM and add the following line to your .vmx file with the rest of your ethernet0 parameters:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"[/code]

Hope that helps!

• 14. Re: HOW TO:  Migrate ESX 2.5 Virtual Machines to ESX 3.01 Without VirtualCenter
                                  VMwareman85 Novice

So i'm farely new at ESX, I have this old ESX 2.5.3 box that has my VM's on there. I need to migrate it to our newly bought ESX 3.0.1 box.

NO SAN :~(

NO Virtual Center :~(

From what i'm gathering from this thread is that I need to:

1. Shutdown my VM

2. SCP the VM's from the Old esx box to the Newly created ESX box, I assume I copy all files over that are assoicated with that VM?

3. Then run vmkfstools on the new box to import the files. "vmkfstools -i /path/to/src/src.vmdk -d 2gbsparse /path/to/dest/dest.vmdk"

4. Inside 3.0.1, create a new VM and point to the files that I have copied over: ".vmdk"

5. Is there any network issues i should concern myself with?

6. Please let me know if I have made a mistake or missed a step.

1 2 Previous Next