VMware Communities
markats
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Beta - Uanble to install Vista because cursor is dead

I get to the point of the Install Windows dialog comes up, but the cursor isn't responding to my Mac mouse, so I can't proceed thru the install. Any ideas?

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon 4GB RAM OS 10.4.8

0 Kudos
39 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

What kind of mouse are you using? Can you look in the vmware.log file in your VM's directory and see if there are any mouse errors mentioned in there?

0 Kudos
markats
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried the standard Mac Mighty Mouse and a wacom tablet.

Log says what the problem is:

Dec 22 09:49:59.849: mks| MKSHIDMOUSE: Failed to open mouse, result -536870206

Dec 22 09:49:59.849: mks| MKSMouse_Grab Failed!

Dec 22 09:49:59.849: mks| Failed to grab MKS Mouse!

Dec 22 09:50:01.073: mks| MKSHIDMOUSE: Failed to open mouse, result -536870206

Dec 22 09:50:01.073: mks| MKSMouse_Grab Failed!

Dec 22 09:50:01.073: mks| Failed to grab MKS Mouse!

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

OK. Can you suspend your VM and resume it with the mouse already plugged in?

There's a known issue in this release that plugging/unplugging mice after the VM starts up causes this problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

0 Kudos
markats
Contributor
Contributor

Suspending and resuming didn't have any effect. I've even quit and tried creating a new vm machine, but mouse still isn't being picked up.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Have you tried with the Wacom tablet disconnected?

0 Kudos
markats
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, just tried that. That seems to be the problem. Once tablet disconnected, mouse connected to keyboard was recognized, and I could complete the Vista install. Bug or feature request?

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

It's a bug. I believe this issue is actually already fixed internally, and the fix will be available in the next release.

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the tablet is preventing you from normally using the product with your mouse, definitely bug.

0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have a Wacom tablet, but I can't click inside the Vmware Fusion window when first trying to install a 30-day trial copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (final) on my Mac Pro. Mouse clicking or keyboard tapping is no use inside the VM.

Am I to understand that my standard Mighty Mouse is incompatible with Fusion? Or is it incompatible because I have a Xerox Phaser 8400 printer, or an Epson Perfection 2480 PHOTO scanner, or a LaCie FireWire 500Gb HD or a Keyspan RF remote for Front Row?

What can be done?

0 Kudos
markats
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a wired or wireless mouse? I didn't have any problems with the wired mouse after I unplugged my tablet.

Message was edited by:

markats

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

I don't have a Wacom tablet, but I can't click inside

the Vmware Fusion window when first trying to install

a 30-day trial copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (final)

on my Mac Pro. Mouse clicking or keyboard tapping is

no use inside the VM.

Did you plug or unplug the mouse from the system after starting the VM, or are you using a KVM switch? There's a known issue where unplugging/plugging the mouse (some KVMs do this whenever you toggle inputs) causes the VM to be unable to see the mouse. Try suspending and resuming the VM if this happens.

Are there any messages in ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log that mention the mouse?

0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, markats and bgertzfield. I've solved it myself. The Keyspan RF Front Row remote control works as an extra keyboard, and that seems to confuse the Fusion beta. Oddly enough, this remote doesn't do anything to Parallels Desktop. So, just unplugging the remote does the trick. I'm just finishing my Vista install.

Thanks, guys.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Thank you, markats and bgertzfield. I've solved it

myself. The Keyspan RF Front Row remote control works

as an extra keyboard, and that seems to confuse the

Fusion beta. Oddly enough, this remote doesn't do

anything to Parallels Desktop. So, just unplugging

the remote does the trick. I'm just finishing my

Vista install.

I'm glad that did the trick. Apologies for the inconvenience! We'll take a look at this internally.

0 Kudos
bluloo
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem with an XP install. I use a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse (wireless). I have no tablet connected but the cursor went dead during the install and remains dead through successive reboots.

Plugging in a wired mouse doesn't seem to help.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi bluloo,

Can you submit a support request with your logs from ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log and the output of System Profiler? (Just select File -> Save in System Profiler).

http://www.vmware.com/support/

Thanks!

0 Kudos
macus
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same experience trying to install XP Pro and have the Logitech MX Revolution wireless mouse using USB Overdrive on the Mac. I then removed this including the receiver and tried reinstalling with a wired Mighty Mouse. Same issue, cursor frozen in the middle of the screen even on install. I will try again today after removing all USB peripherals.

0 Kudos
bluloo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i submitted a report early (very) this morning, at your email request. (You guys sure work late!).

Thank you and happy holidays.

0 Kudos
Bill_W
Contributor
Contributor

Duplicated this problem on a MacBook Pro. Had to install an external keyboard via USB. Now that the drivers are installed it works fine.

-Bill

0 Kudos
Bill_W
Contributor
Contributor

Should have said, I installed a keyboard/mouse via USB.

0 Kudos