VMware Cloud Community
PatrickWE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Urgent : Unable to create 64 Bit Guest os with ESX 3.0.1 with a 64B Server

When trying to create a Windows 2003 R2 x64 bit guest os on a server, I get this message when powering on the guest machine : Attempting to load an x64 OS, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode.

I know this is not true, since this is a new PowerEdge 2900 2x Quad-Core cpu 5130. It is 64 Bit capable, and to make sure of that, before installing ESX, I installed Windows 2003 64B R2 on the machine ( as host OS ) to test this and to make sure of this.... So something wrong with my config or Vmware ESX 3.0.1...

Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong...

I have ESX 3.0.1, with patch ESX-1410076 installed.

Thanks \!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do these need the VT setting in the BIOS..?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The ability to run 64-bit guests has NO bearing on whether or not the host is 64-bit or 32bit... so installing Win2003-x64 did nothing to test your case. Run the processor guest check utility to verify whether or not your CPU and motherboard have the required features existing AND enabled in order to run 64-bit guests. For Intel processors, they must support BOTH EM64T AND VT!! See knowledgebase article 1901 for more details.

acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do these need the VT setting in the BIOS..?

0 Kudos
PatrickWE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As always, this forums is just awsome, as I was re-reading my post, I tought of VT, and how I read somewhere where some servers comes with this option disabled in the Bios...

I have enabled it, and don't get that error anymore..

Thanks for all the help...

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hey, your more than welcome Patrick..

0 Kudos
djflux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, the VMTNKB article posted here looks like it only applies to Player, Server, and Workstation. I assume it probably applies to ESX 3.x as well, but you know what happens when you assume.

I ask because I have an ESX host that has the 'lm' flag (the flag that indicates EM64T) in /proc/pci, but not the 'vmx' flag (the flag that indicates that the proc has VT) and I can't get a WinPE network boot to show the 64-bit options. Again, assuming that I need VT technology to use 64-bit guests on ESX 3.x

Thanks in advance,

Flux.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For Intel CPUs, both EM64T and VT are required to run 64-bit guests on ESX 3.x. Further, VT must be enabled in the BIOS/firmware of the host.

For AMD CPUs, 64-bit segment truncation must be supported, which means any AMD64 CPU that is Rev D or later.

0 Kudos
hakalugi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this cpu is not compatible with x64 mode." ...

this thread has been answered, but for other's use, b/c i searched using that string in quotes and found only this thread.

we have a box with quad core 2.66ghz intel proc with 64 bit capabilities, and were getting that message when trying to boot a new VM with 2003 R2 64bit iso.

i tried the cpu test referred to on this page and it passed... yet:

turns out our bios changes (enabling 64 bit when we set up the hardware node) didn't "take". we confirmed by opening ssh to ESX host and "cat /proc/cpuinfo"

for the flags, you must have both "vt" and "lm" (vt = intel magik, lm = longmem)

since this is a production box we'll change bios when we can shut down our VMs and reboot the host. hopefully we jus fat-fingered he bios saving, but that's the most likely answer.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

turns out our bios changes (enabling 64 bit when we

set up the hardware node) didn't "take".

Note that changes to the VT setting in the BIOS will not take effect until the system is powered off. If you simply warm-booted the system after making the change to the BIOS, that would explain why you still cannot use VT.

0 Kudos
barnaclewes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I've just stupidly bumped into the same issue, running ESXi 3.5.0 u3 on a PowerEdge III. The machine has 2 quad-core Xeons and is only 4 months old, so I'm certain the CPUs have VT. If I drive down there, enable VT in the BIOS and reboot, will I be able to install a 64-bit OS, or do I have to reinstall ESXi first?

I sure wish I'd discovered this mis-feature before we fielded this system. Oh well, maybe I'll take the opportunity to see another ballgame, since the downtown office is a couple of blocks from the ball park. Lemons => Lemonade, right?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your processors may not have VT support. Intel offers some skus of many processor lines without VT. Check your processor on Intel's web site to be sure. Then drive down there, enable VT in the BIOS, power down the system, pull the power cords, count to 10, and plug it back in. All power must be removed from the CPUs in order to change the VT settings. See

0 Kudos