VMware Cloud Community
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Pause disk issues

Hi,

Have setup a VM server and resources. Sufficent disk space etc...suddenly out the blue it pauses the VM saying need to free up space on the DS?!

The DS has 440GB disk space, the VM is only 400GB and has 36GB RAM allocated. When checking the DS says 37.1GB free...however the server keeps pausing not enough space?!

What is causing this as have enough space or how do i stop it from happening more importantly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You appear to have a snapshot on this VM which explains the constant pausing. Unless you have enough free space on the target datastore (you don't appear to have this), you are pretty well done here unless it can be moved in a powered off state.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VM swap file will be the same size as the allocated memory, there are log files too...

Does the VM have any snapshots?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also on a note, the server was running perfectly fine yesterday with about 15 users all day...suddenly this morning users are logging in and this is happening.

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do i turn off snap shots even for the time being?! The server is offline so no uses can work at the moment.

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No there are no snap shots

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unregistered and registred the VM and now wont start cannot enumerate the drive error...can see the the file there but shows as 90GB over the 400GB is used to be, but wont allow me to change the size either

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Otherwise what would be the best way to shrink down the volume?

In Server 2019 can shrink it down,  but then the VM cannot make the size any smaller when you try edit.

0 Kudos