VMware Communities
gravitybeetle
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstaion: ram being allocated to virtual machine didnt unlock to host after host rebooting

VMware® Workstation 12 Pro 12.0.0 build-2985596

host:Windows 10, 64-bit  (Build 19041) 10.0.19041 Memory 16252 MB ram

virtual:Windows XP professional Memory 1GB ram

I have had opened 10 guest OS stated as above settings reserving 13712mb ram in total.

After switching off the host and switching on with the same setting, i cant even opened 1 guest OS as the host window went blue screen

Me and my brother are having the same problem with uncountable times, we have even uninstalled the workstation and reinstall again but it doesnt help.

I have noticed when ever we opened the workstation, there will be a lag and seems like the ram from the previous settings (with 10 guest OS) has been locked but not released after uninstalling the workstation nor reboot the host.

In theory, the host after rebooting the ram should have cleared, but i got a feeling that workstation somehow manage to overwrite this and keep the ram locked.

I have been searching over the net, firstly i cant find a way to contact vmware workstation officially(an email address to send to) to make this problem solved and secondly i heard some people saying about the balloon mechanics for how the workstation works and to force it to release the ram which has been locked, but i cant manage to do it.

I also found out after reinstalling the workstation, they dont seem to do it clean enough. Only some previous settings has been removed but not the "state" i called e.g. feels like the workstation is still somehow working in the back ground and locking my ram.

My question is:

1) is there an email i sent to officially to address the problem?

2) how to start workstation 'freshly" e.g. releasing all its locking ram from previous opening and lock again with new open up?

3) if rebooting the host cant clean the ram while i believe workstation is somehow having a priority to overwrite this, how to clean the ram then?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you checked your host OS performance tools to see which Windows processes are using system resources?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gravitybeetle
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your reply, after opening the workstation. i cant see anything particular in using any resources as my computer was just bought a few days ago and apart from the workstation itself i dont have anything installed. But still the workstation is lag as if the ram precious being allocated is still locked for it and so remaining almost no ram for any new virtual machine being created which indicates by when i start one it went blue screen.

Is there a way to clean the ram workstation locked every time before i open it again and so every time there will be enough ram for it to run?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You are using a very old version. 12.x version has been out-of-support since Feb 2018.

Now there is VMware Workstation 16.x, even version 15.x will be out-of-support soon.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

I don't know how you get form your conclusion, but if you were going to make such a pronouncement, you have to show the evidence. Quite frankly, your conclusion does not seem plausible. Plus, make use of a version that is still supported (i.e. a version VMware has committed to continue making updates).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You didn’t answer my question, which Windows processes are consuming your system resources?

Task Manager will help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gravitybeetle
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the help

0 Kudos
gravitybeetle
Contributor
Contributor

end of reply

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I count 7 VMware Workstation VMX processes in picture 1. There is also VMware Workstation (32bit) in picture 1. That means the User interface (UI) is running and that you have launched the VMware Workstation application.

Of course if you open VMware Workstation and power up 7 VMs that will be one result of what is seen in Task Manager picture 1.

Did you share the 7 VMs using the Shared Virtual Machines feature and make them auto start?

0 Kudos
gravitybeetle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply

I managed to open 7 processes after quite a number of trial and error(after repeating the process of open 1 processe and got blue screen), the 7 processes are linked clone to a original clone which is powered off while the other 7 are on. All are not set to auto start.

computer model:Lenovo 81Y4

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

So you are using linked clones as well as shared virtual machines.

As indicated earlier, 12.x is already out of support. The last in the 12.x series is 12.5.9 and you are using 12.0.0. 12.x and 14.x are not even supported in Windows 10 20H1 host and Microsoft blocked these version in Windows 10 1903. And you expect to get support? Please be realistic.

0 Kudos