VMware Horizon Community
RTVNoord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM 2006 Computer Environment issues

We run into some strange problems with the VMWARE Horizon DEM Computer Environment ADMX based Settings.

I've configured all the VMWARE instructions as mentioned overhere: FlexEngine Configuration for Computer Environment Settings

dem-2.png

Despite all the correct registry settings, the policies are invariably ignored because of this error:

Error: Path '\\SERVER\DEMConfig$\General' must be an existing directory. Not processing computer environment settings.

dem-1.png

And that's weird because the path '\\SERVER\DEMConfig$\General' is also used for the User Environment ADMX based Settings and they work like a charm.

dem-5.png

I've already changed the ConfigFilePath in the Registry to \\SERVER\DEMConfig$\ , reprovisioned the Golden Image and tested it again. Unfortunately the result / error is exact the same.

I've also recreated the Registry Folder and settings again, to make sure there is no typo or corrupted character. But whatever I do, the result stays the same.

And Yes, all the permissions on the share are ok. Like I said: the User Environment settings work great. 

We use DEM 2006 on Horizon 8 and Windows 10 2004 as Golden Image.

Anybody having this same issue? Or even better: having the golden solution for this weird issue?

Pascal

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hoi Pascal,

And Yes, all the permissions on the share are ok. Like I said: the User Environment settings work great.

Just to make sure: for User Environment settings, the shares are accessed as the logged-on user. For Computer Environment settings, however, it's the computer account that needs to have access.

Can you please double check that remote computer accounts (the Domain Computers group, for instance) have the correct NTFS permissions on the config share and the profile archive share (for the log file)?

RTVNoord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good point. I did not had the Domain Computers Group addes to the users Profiles Share.

I now added this Computer Group and yes, the previous error is gone. But, it still does not seems to work

Several Computer based ADMX settings that have been set in DEM are not applied.

Also the logfile "DemComputer.log" is not created.

dem-8.png

In the other logfiles nothing is mentiond about the Computer ADMX / GPO's. No informational or warning messages etc.

So therefore it seems something still is stucked somewhere.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RTVNoord,

Anything in the event log that might explain why computer environment settings aren't being applied?

BTW, %username% in the configuration for the computer environment settings log file will actually resolve to the computer name, so that log file will not appear among your "normal" user FlexEngine log files.

0 Kudos
RTVNoord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anything in the event log that might explain why computer environment settings aren't being applied?

Nope, no errors or warning. But some GPO setting you can check when you log in as a user, are not applied.

And about the logfile, wat do you recommend? If its so that %username% is not correctly resolved, there must be another way.

And, you prefer to have this logfile in the same location as the other logfiles.

BTW: In the default Flexengine.log nothing is logged / mentioned about the Computer ADMX.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RTVNoord,

And about the logfile, wat do you recommend? If its so that %username% is not correctly resolved, there must be another way.

It's not so much that "%username% is not correctly resolved"; it's just that in computer context, %username% is the same as %computername%.

And, you prefer to have this logfile in the same location as the other logfiles.

As computer environment settings are applied before a user is logged on, there is no actual user at that time. As we don't know which user will subsequently be logging, we can't create the computer environment settings log file in the same location as the other log files.

In the default Flexengine.log nothing is logged / mentioned about the Computer ADMX.

Is anything being logged (in the event log, the user's FlexEngine.log, or the computer's FlexEngine.log) when you run FlexEngine -UEMRefreshADMXComputer in the session?

0 Kudos
RTVNoord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I will figure something out for that.

Is anything being logged (in the event log, the user's FlexEngine.log, or the computer's FlexEngine.log) when you run FlexEngine -UEMRefreshADMXComputer in the session?

Nope. In the FlexEngine.log nothing is mentioned until I do a FlexEngine -UEMRefreshADMXComputer  

This command is logged in the EventViewer and these same lines are (only) then logged in the FlexEnige.log also.

dem-9.png

But, it still seems nothing is happening.

Compter Settings like the default FTA is (still) not applied (where FTA is another pain in the a** )

dem-10.png

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RTVNoord,

Hmmm... That's all quite strange. Can you collect a ProcMon trace for another FlexEngine -UEMRefreshADMXComputer run, and send me the .PML file in a private message?

0 Kudos
RTVNoord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree

Hmm, I don't see an option to send you an attachment.

Did you received my other messages?They does not seem to go away..

Otherwise contact me by mail.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To close the loop: I picked this up with @RTVNoord through another channel, and the problem was indeed caused by missing NTFS permissions.

I'll see if we can improve the logging for the scenario where share permissions are configured correctly, but NTFS permissions are not.

skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

@DEMdev  can you please specify where those NTFS permissions were missing in regards of this issue please? That question from the requester, what are you suggesting to replace the %username% instead for make that log file created please? I ma facing the same issue, that despite I have computer settings delivered, i am not getting any log file for comp env created at all, nor ADMX one or even that basic one ... I have pointed out that UNC path for the same as that FlexEngine (user) log, so contains indeed that %username% in path.

Thanks

0 Kudos