VMware Communities
Th4ntis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A couple questions with Upgrading

I have VMWare Workstation Workstation Player 16 installed and have been considering upgrading to Workstation 16 Pro. I can't seem to find these questions answered on the FAQ or anything on the page.

If I go to into the Workstation Player > Help > Upgrade to VMWare Workstation Pro I get 3 options. New, Upgrade From Workstation Pro or Player 14 or Greater, Upgrade from Workstation 16 Player. Whats the difference and which one should I get? Im using Player 16 the Free version as it's just for personal use. Which one

Second question is how long does this license last and what happens to my license if/when they move to version 17?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

since the option "Upgrade from Workstation 16 Player" shows up, this is likely what you want to select. In case it doesn't work, uninstall VMware Workstation Player, reboot, and then install VMware Workstation Pro. Don't worry about the VMs, they are treated like documents.

Second question is how long does this license last and what happens to my license if/when they move to version 17?

Over the last years VMware released a new version every year, with some exceptions where it took 2 years (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation).

Each major version requires its own license, so if you want to upgrade you will have to purchase an upgrade license.

André

View solution in original post

1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

since the option "Upgrade from Workstation 16 Player" shows up, this is likely what you want to select. In case it doesn't work, uninstall VMware Workstation Player, reboot, and then install VMware Workstation Pro. Don't worry about the VMs, they are treated like documents.

Over the last years VMware released a new version every year, with some exceptions where it took 2 years (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation).

Each major version requires its own license, so if you want to upgrade you will have to purchase an upgrade license.

André