Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Applying critical host updates/patches in a View environment

Hi all,

Here's the current setup:

View 7.11.0 15231595

vCenter 6.7.0 u3f 15976721

ESXi 6.7.0 P01 15160138

It seems that if I apply critical updates via update manager, the hosts will end up at 6.7.0 EP16, build 16773714   which as far as I can tell takes us beyond the supported host level for view 7.11, which is esxi 6.7.0 U3

How do paople manage this? Surely we're not expected to upgrade the whole View environment every time there's a critical host patch that takes us beyond the suported level of View? 

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

I would always approach VMware Support for this. There has to be end to end support for all product running on the top of ESXi platform.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There is no newer "Update" version than "Update 3", so applying current patches should not harm.

see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2143832

Please note that in case you are using vSAN, make sure that you update vCenter first.

André

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the reply.  Applying the patches takes us beyond the build number for ESXi 6.7 U3 - Is this still in support then? I was checking becasue a few years back we updated the hosts via update manager which broke something in View and we ended up upgrading the View environment.  Just being extra cautious! 😊   

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Check the product interoperability matrix if your unsure, and if your really want to be sure open a ticket so you have a reference incase something breaks. In general its only updates like going from update 2 to update 3.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php

ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The product interoperability matrix is always my first port of call.  That's how I know I can go to 6.7U3.  My query was about the build numbers that seemingly take the hosts above U3.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

They still update 3 though, and since they generally are only bug/security fixes are less likely to cause issues. Like I said you should open a GSS ticket to be absolutely sure if you want, but in general, if the interoperability matrix says the current update your on is supported you should be fine until a new update is released.

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - maybe I'm getting a bit twitchy because of past experiences.  I'll log an SR. 

0 Kudos