VMware Cloud Community
williamwang3508
Contributor
Contributor

how many vm networks a standalone host can have

Author : Joseph Sciallo

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.security.doc/GUID-92DF3F3C-D17E-42...

Topic Name : Creating Multiple Networks Within a Single ESXi Host

Publication Name : vSphere Security

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/7.0

Question :

We have a VMware ESXi 70 standalone server with four physical NICs, we initally have two NIC hooked  so created two VM networks, both are visible when deploying a VM. however, we now hooked cables to the two remaining NICs and created vswitch and groups, but these two new port groups(networks) are not visible from a guest VM. it looks like only two portgroups are supported, is this true, if not, what is missing to prevent VM from seeing additional networks? thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Far more than two are supported. Without looking at your host's networking configurations it's difficult to tell, but more than likely you have vmkernel ports created which will cause VMs to not see them. More details help us to help you.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My guess is that the additional “networks” have had VMkernel ports associated with them.

Each port group can be EITHER for the VMkernel OR for VMs - but not both.

Delete the VMkernel ports you have associated with these new “networks” and they will revert to being VM port groups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos