VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

vMware and Oracle RAC

I am using esxi 6.7 . now want install two vms and use as oracle RAC :

1- Can I use RDM and share rdm disk between two vms as multiwriter ?

2- As I know I can use multiwriter but in this mode vm cannot do vMotion and get backup from vm

What is the best solution ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area, this is not a vCenter-specific matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi baber​,

1. Yes, you can. I believe, this document still holds good --> https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/oracle/oracle-databases-...

2. vMotion would work, however not storage vMotion --> VMware Knowledge Base

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should help: To be “RDM for Oracle RAC”, or not to be, that is the question - Virtualize Applications

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks

but two questions:

1- While I want use multi-writter due add new scsi controller I select vMware paravirtual type is that ok or had to select LSI Logical SAS ?

2 - While add new disk for SCSI Bus Sharing select None because if select Physical or virtual can not do vMotion or clone is that correct ?

3- Is that possible get backup from vm (OS disk ) when using multi-writter ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe the first 2 questions are answered in the link I posted.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks.

Now just have one problem.

I want use multi-writter . I have created a vm and after install OS add new SCSI Controller1 with vMwae paravirtual type with scsi bus sharing = Physical

now create a backup job and eclude all disk and just select scsi controller 0 but cannot get backup from this vm for Multiwritter is that logical?

when set multiwriter we cannot get backup from that VM?

BR

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Snapshots/backups not supported on multi-writer enabled disks. This is mentioned in VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

But this is strange because I don't want get backup from multi-write disks I excluded all multi-write disk and just select scsi controller0 which is normal disk with depended disk (OS disk)

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What are you using to backup your oracle servers?

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

I am using veeam . Actually don't want get backup from oracle disks that are multi-write. I just want get backup from OS disk .

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

As I know we can impliment oracle RAC on vMware two types:

1 - use Multiwrite

2- use RDM

for Multi-Write disks:

in the first step we create two virtual machine

for Multi-write disk in the next step add new SCSI Controller1 in physical mode and new disk in Multi-write share type

and do all above steps on vm2 just add existing disk and in this mode we can just do vMotion and for backup from OS disk (SCSI Controller0) had to create backup

from guest os .

For RDM disk:

in the first step we create two virtual machine

in the next step add new SCSI Controller1 in physical mode and new RDM disk (I use in virtual mode rdm-v)

and do all above steps on vm2 just add existing disk and in this mode we can just do vMotion and for backup from OS disk (SCSI Controller0) had to create backup

from guest os .

Is that correct ?

0 Kudos
Robert30
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I allow myself to reopen this post to ask a question to clarify the type of SAN supported to use vmdk files

I've been told that multi writer share VMDK disks is only supported with FC SAN

As we are using DELL Compellent, is it supported to configure Oracle RAC VMs using share VMDK disk on ISCSI SAN?

Thanks for your reply

Robert

0 Kudos
muakhtar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Kindly find the below points.

1. Create VM1 & VM2.

2. Create a RDM add to VM1.

3. Edit Setting in VM2 and browse the datastore and add.

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
Robert30
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Munib

Thanks for your reply, but I would like to use VMDK disks instead of RDM 

In some docs I've read it's written  VMDK with multi writer option is supported on FC SAN

An as our Datastores are on ISCSI SAN, can we use ISCSI SAN and is it supported ?

0 Kudos