VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

USB video Capture in VM possible??

I just bought video capture VHS to USB dongle to record tapes to digital format, however i'm a Mac user

When i connect the usb device to Mac, System Profiler lists it, but there is silence from VMware Fusion (Windows 10)

Not even a dialog "What do you want to do with this" ?  as its the first tmei am connecting.

Looking under USB in VM config doesn't see it either, so i'm assuming that is the first hurdle to overcome.. I'm changed from USB3.1 to USB2.0 as the device is USB 2.0 only., so i figured that could of been why, but nope.

Any reason why Fusion isn't 'seeing' it ? When i plug in my HFS+ external USB HD, of course Windows can't connect to it, but it still appears under VM USB settings.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi TECH198​,

Passthrough of video devices is disabled by default in Fusion.

To enable passthrough of video devices you should add the following line to "~/Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/preferences" (create the file, if it is missing):

vusbcamera.passthrough = "TRUE"

Refer to the following KB article for more details: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145940

Regards,

Kamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi TECH198​,

Passthrough of video devices is disabled by default in Fusion.

To enable passthrough of video devices you should add the following line to "~/Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/preferences" (create the file, if it is missing):

vusbcamera.passthrough = "TRUE"

Refer to the following KB article for more details: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145940

Regards,

Kamen

0 Kudos
juliuslechien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have same issue even after adding vusbcamera.passthrough = "TRUE" in preference file. KB article doesn’t seems to work.

0 Kudos