VMware Communities
kwanlowe
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation (Free) hangs after a few seconds

Hello All:

I've been having an issue with VMWare Workstation (Free Version) since updating Windows 10 about 5 months ago. I tried troubleshooting then but was unsuccessful so ended running up VirtualBox. Though it did the job, I wasn't pleased with the interface and wanted to re-visit VMWare. 

Some background:  VMWare Workstation Player was running fine to install and use a CentOS 8 VM. I had used it for several months without an issue until I updated Windows. Since then, VMWare Workstation launches then hangs. If I don't do anything, it hangs with a "Not responding" error after a few seconds until I kill it via Task Manager or Force Close. During this, the laptop fans start up and Task Manager shows it pegging CPUs. If I re-launch then quickly double-click the CentOS 8 VM, it will launch and actually get to the login screen before it hangs. In any case, it takes about 5 seconds before it hangs.  I tried waiting it out but after 15 minutes or more it never recovers.

I recently updated to the latest version of VMWare Workstation 16 with same issue.  To troubleshoot I have tried:

1. Uninstall and reinstall (removing saved settings)

2. Turning off anti-virus software (both temporary disable and disable requiring reboot)

3. Disabling Credential Guard via registry edit.

4. Uninstalling Ubuntu LTS from Windows Store (not a viable long term option though)

5. Uninstalling VirtualBox

6. Deleting the CentOS vm (saw suggestions that a suspened VM image was causing the issue)

It's not a life or death thing, but I really do prefer VMWare to VirtualBox so if anyone has suggestions it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kwan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area (which is only free for non-commercial use).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos