VMware Cloud Community
alobanovich
Contributor
Contributor

Cluster is not compatible for Workload Management

Hi,

I am trying to enable workload management in vsphere 7 but cluster is not compatible.

I have validated the following setup: 3 ESXi hosts, DRS on , HA on, vSphere Networking, hosts license with VMware vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus with Add-on for Kubernetes

I'm getting next error when running cluster compatibility on vcenter:

root@vcenter [ ~ ]# dcli com vmware vcenter namespacemanagement clustercompatibility list

|------------|----------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|cluster     |compatible|incompatibility_reasons                                                                                         |

|------------|----------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|domain-c2001|False     |Cluster domain-c2001 is a personality-manager managed cluster. It currently does not support vSphere namespaces.|

any advice what can cause the issue?

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi alobanovich

Please run the command again and review the workload management logs to see if it provides more information

Log location: /var/log/vmware/wcp/wcpsvc.log

Troubleshoot Workload Management Enablement Cluster Compatibility Errors

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
alobanovich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Log attached - i didn't find anything useful, also no any references for this  specific error in Workload Management Troubleshooting guide

0 Kudos
ingvargo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i also have similar error, i am trying to set up workload management and in the wizard in vcenter when selecting cluster my cluster show as incompatible and the "incompatibility reason" is Cluster domain-c1006 is a personality-manager managed cluster. It currently does not support vSphere namespaces.

i have downloaded the wcpsvc log but cannot find anything in it of value.

BR

Ingvar

0 Kudos
ingvargo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it turns out that this cluster had single image config in the Lifecycle Management, i created another cluster without single image config and moved all hosts in that cluster, then i could continue the setup wizard.

dont know why this is, single image config is supported for Tanzu as far as i know.

BR

Ingvar

0 Kudos
alobanovich
Contributor
Contributor

Right, but i have got next explanation from William Lam:

This actually recently came up and looks to be a known issue with the vSphere UI when enabling Workload Management for a vSphere Cluster that has been enabled with the new vCenter Lifecycle Management (vCLM) capability. The team is currently working on updating documentation and there’s two options for now

1) Create a vSphere Cluster w/o enabling (checking the box) for enabling vLCM
2) Use the vSphere API to enable Workload Management. If you’re using my script, it’ll standup a vSphere w/Tanzu env w/o using vLCM. If not, I’ll be publishing an update to my Workload Management automation PS Module which can then be used to enable Workload Management with your existing vSphere Cluster since vLCM can not be disabled after configuring it as such

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2020/10/automated-vsphere-with-tanzu-lab-deployment-script.html#comm...