VMware Cloud Community
gjbrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsan file services smb

I want to enable SMB on vsan file services.  Ran into an issue, so I disabled it, and now want to re-enable it.

It is picking up the previous config which I would like to alter.  How can I erase the previous config?  I looked for a json that might contain it but nothing obvious stood out.

TIA for any guidance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello gjbrown​,

It loads the previous configuration by default (and states this in the prompt when disabling the service) - you can change whatever settings you want with the 'Edit' button once this is enabled.

Out of interest (as we haven't really been getting many cases relating to it in GSS and it has been too long since covered it in training) I had a browse in a (nested) lab and the configuration information is located in files located at /vmfs/volumes/vdfsDatastore/<VDFS-ENTRY-UUID>/volumes/<UUID>/default/config.json/<number>/data - each time the configuration is changed this is incremented e.g. .../default/1/data for first, .../default/2/data for the second etc. and the previous ones retained.

Now, here is where it gets as I would say 'interesting' but your average person might say 'hazardous' - when manually changing some of the parameters (e.g. Domain) with vi on the files, I seemingly managed to 'cut the branch I was standing on' and could no longer access the directory where I was configuring this. So in summary, I wouldn't advise manually editing this unless/until a point that we have some public documentation on whether this is 1. supported and expected to work and 2. a reliable means of doing this without breaking things - until then please just use the vSphere Client to change these settings.

Bob

0 Kudos
gjbrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bob,

Thx, I actually found a yellow bricks post about this, basically re-enable, disable and then the next enable will be clear and that worked.  I did run into other issues with deployment. I just opened SR  20163689810 , if you have access and want to peruse my case if nothing else for educating yourself.

-thx,

GB

0 Kudos
amarocf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

something that has worked for me is deleting the domain configuration via powercli:

https://developer.vmware.com/docs/powercli/latest/vmware.vimautomation.storage/commands/remove-vsanf...

0 Kudos